?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Character Love Meme - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

September 18th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
02:24 pm - Character Love Meme
Totally stolen from jedibuttercup:

Name a character, and I will tell you in no less than 100 words why I love that character.

Fandoms you may question me on are: Alias, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, CSI (Vegas), Firefly/Serenity, Harry Potter, The Invisible Man, The Lord of the Rings, Numb3rs, ReBoot, Star Trek (DS9), Stargate SG-1, The Sentinel

Of course, you could also ask about any of the other fandoms I've written for or admitted to watching, but I can't guarantee being able to come up with a love-paragraph about any given main character for every one of them. :-)
Current Location: work
Current Mood: optimisticoptimistic

(33 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:jd3000
Date:September 18th, 2006 09:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm sure you could give us a love-paragraph about Rear Admiral Albert Calavicci. :-D

-JD
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 18th, 2006 11:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ah, Al. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

Firstly, the fact that the potential joke inherent in the rank of Rear Admiral is entirely appropriate to the man. His--er--appreciation of the female form, his creative ways in expressing that appreciation, and the fact that his hologram status means he can make comments about this subjec whenever he wants to, make for more *facepalm* moments than for any other character in my fandoms.

Secondly, he's one half of one of the most mis-matched friendships on television. Al's military outlook, his abiding loyalty to his friends and comrades, his flashy fashion sense (or lack thereof), and his eye for the ladies all make him the opposite of his time-hopping best friend.

Thirdly, beneath Al's wise-cracking exterior is a heart that's already been broken many times (as a POW in Vietnam; presumed dead by Beth the love of his life; his family history), and yet.... He still has the strength to love. He even as the strength to be the person who does nothing but wait and encourage--you can tell how much he wishes he could help Sam more, but he deals with the frustration admirably (usually!), and comes up with creative ways to get in on the action.
[User Picture]
From:lizamanynames
Date:September 18th, 2006 09:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Why do you (or don't you) love Hexadecimal? :) If that's a little beyond you, how about Sam Carter?
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 18th, 2006 11:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, Hexadecimal is my favorite ReBoot villain! :-)

Her nature is chaos, and that means she turns up unexpectedly, switches sides just for the hell of it, and turns out the weirdest of weird plans to take over Mainframe. Seriously, one of my favorite episodes is "The Medusa Bug," because what she does is both actively sadistic (I'm not sure what else you could call her attitude as she watches sprites and binomes turning to stone) and because once Bob calls her bluff ("Just peace, and calm, forever..."), she does a complete 180 and undoes the bug entirely.

And yet you can't be sure that wasn't what she was planning all along.

Also, her collection of masks is the most awesome thing--one for every occasion, and changed with a sweep of the hand! I want her masks. :-)

I also wanted to own Scuzzy, because he's basically a cat, and he has spycam powers, and because he deserves an owner that won't abuse him randomly as Hex does (even though she really is quite fond of him!).

Oh! I can't forget how completely uncomfortable she makes Bob. Hee. Poor boy doesn't know what to do with her! Especially when she was temporarily turned from virus to sprite.

(I gotta have a ReBoot marathon. It has been way too long.)
[User Picture]
From:lizamanynames
Date:September 19th, 2006 11:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, Hexadecimal is my favorite ReBoot villain! :-)

*cackles* Oh, good. I'm glad. People tend to be polarized on Hex, they either love her or hate her. I love her.

I also wanted to own Scuzzy, because he's basically a cat, and he has spycam powers, and because he deserves an owner that won't abuse him randomly as Hex does (even though she really is quite fond of him!).

Oh, I'm so with you on THAT.

(I gotta have a ReBoot marathon. It has been way too long.)

Oooooooooooooh, yes!!
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 20th, 2006 04:28 pm (UTC)
(Link)
People tend to be polarized on Hex, they either love her or hate her.

How could anyone hate Hex? :-) She's delightfully bonkers. (omgosh, I just remembered that back in the fandom's heyday, someone made a Hex vid to "Lady in Red." LOL.)

Also, Scuzzy is much cooler than Megabyte's pet null. (though not quite as cool as Hack and Slash, if you count them as pets. *g*)
[User Picture]
From:lizamanynames
Date:September 20th, 2006 09:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Hack and Slash totally count as pets.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 20th, 2006 09:56 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I desperately need an animated Hack and Slash icon. Yes.
[User Picture]
From:scorptilicus
Date:September 18th, 2006 10:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
How about Damar? Would you drink kanar with Damar?
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 18th, 2006 11:54 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I would drink kanar with Damar.

That was not always the case, however. Initially I figured him for just one more fanatically loyal Cardassian soldier--and the jerk was so fanatical that he killed Ziyal! On his own initiative! For that alone he deserved to be stoned, or maybe drawn and quartered.

But he had to start there, really, to have the character arc that turned out so brilliantly. Damar had a place of remorse to come from, and a starting point where he had to start questioning his loyalties and where they were leading him and his people. And he made the right choices, doing what was right instead of what was easy. I was enourmously proud of him for the whole resistance movement, and by the show's final episodes I would have followed him--and I did grieve a little for him.

Probably what I loved most about Damar, then, is that he showed himself to be a man of honor. Even with acts in his past which he came to regret, he still stood up and lived by what he believed in.
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:September 18th, 2006 10:11 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Faramir. 8-)
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 19th, 2006 12:47 am (UTC)
(Link)
"Not if I found it by the highway would I take it, I said; and still I would hold those words as an oath, and be bound by them."

I may be paraphrasing a bit, but that line spells out the core of my love of Faramir, son of Denethor, Captain of Gondor. He is a man of honor--not an honor that needs to be seen (that would be his brother Boromir), or that even needs to be satisfied in "significant" ways. A statement made without all the facts, based on a simple and certain moral judgment, still holds for him all the weight of a formal oath. He is a man of keen vision, who takes careful thought for his actions, but at the same time he will not be persuaded into a course that does not seem right to him.

I'm also very much drawn to Faramir's personality and loves. He's a warrior, and a leader of men; but he is also a scholar, who knows his people's history, and studied with Gandalf. He fights for the love of his people and city, not for love of the sword itself. A man of peace thrust into the middle of a war, who nevertheless aquits himself well in both arenas.

Faramir is the kind of man I can wholeheartedly respect. Would that there were more like him in the Real World.
[User Picture]
From:kizmet_42
Date:September 18th, 2006 10:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Do you love Peter Pettigrew?
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 19th, 2006 05:25 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, you would pick Peter.

I don't hate the guy--he's too pitiful for that. I imagine he had the youngest-child place in the Marauder gang; the one the others looked out for, thought of as weak and in need of protection, and probably pestered to death when they were bored. I have as much sympathy for how he must have spent his time at Hogwarts as I do for Neville. They're both seen as having lesser powers and skills, not being cool (except by association), not being leaders.

Right now the difference that makes me adore Neville and hold off judgment on Peter is their demonstrations of courage. Neville is, at his core, a true Gryffindor; there's not a speck of cowardice in the boy. Peter, otoh, seems to have a ridiculously high sense of self-preservation.

But he was a Gryffindor. And he was a Marauder.

And like many fans, I'm waiting to see if he'll find his courage at the end, and turn on Voldemort--the creature who forced him to betray his friends. I think it's possible, but I've been wrong before.

I hope I'm right.
[User Picture]
From:maevebran
Date:September 18th, 2006 11:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Angel

Col. Jack O'Neil
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 19th, 2006 06:11 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Angel

I go back and forth about Angel. There were times, mostly when he was on Buffy, when I really loved him. Quiet, stealthy, coming out of the shadows of the night to help the good guys.... And I don't care if it's cheesy: I find the idea of the vampire cursed with a soul really cool. The complexity, the struggle, the unending remorse, all that fascinated me.

Frankly, I liked him even better in the first season of Angel, because a vampire as a supernatual P.I. in Los Angeles is too perfect. And when he has something to do, Angel doesn't get as broody. Broody to me = boring, so it was when he was interacting with Kate, and kicking ass and taking names (or even when he was making a fool of himself in the process of helping the helpless), I could cheer for him.

Later seasons of Angel...bleh. Broody = boring.

Though I will admit that I am haunted by the final image from the final episode of that show. That's exactly how Angel should have gone out, and I salute him.

I'm not doing Jack until you clarify whether you meant to spell his name with one "l" or not. I love double-"ll" Jack more than single-"l" Jack, but I suppose I could write about either. *shrug*
[User Picture]
From:maevebran
Date:September 19th, 2006 09:28 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm new to the fandom so I'm not sure how the name is spelled so I'll go with two LL's.
Quiet, stealthy, coming out of the shadows of the night to help the good guys.... And I don't care if it's cheesy: I find the idea of the vampire cursed with a soul really cool. The complexity, the struggle, the unending remorse, all that fascinated me.

Frankly, I liked him even better in the first season of Angel, because a vampire as a supernatual P.I. in Los Angeles is too perfect. And when he has something to do, Angel doesn't get as broody.


I agree completely. Ilove season one of Angel to ikkle bitty bits. (But I love the character to bits too, but first season was my favorite. I am a sucker for the Buffy/Angel love.)
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 20th, 2006 12:01 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm new to the fandom so I'm not sure how the name is spelled so I'll go with two LL's.

Ah, I see. One L means the Kurt Russel version from the Stargate movie; two LLs is the the Richard Dean Anderson version from SG-1. :-)

So. Jack O'Neill.

He's pretty much the reason I became a fan of SG-1 in the first place, and he's certainly the reason I have kept coming back to the show. The entire SG-1 team, plus that universe itself, with its myriad recurring characters, are dear to my heart, but....

It's Jack O'Neill I fell for, and Jack O'Neill I love. :-)

Starting with the truly shallow: the actor, RDA, is quite goodlooking. Admittedly I seem to have a thing for slightly older men, but it's also true that RDA simply gets better looking as he gets older. In season one, he'd catch the eye; by season 5, with his hair gone mostly gray, he is drop-dead gorgeous. I can barely take my eyes off him.

Then there is the snark. Jack has a real talent for cutting through BS, grandstanding, and lies--and he's amusing about it, to boot. I recently realized that he sort of embodies the the role of the Fool: the one who can and dares to speak the plain truth, state the obvious, and entertain while cutting to the bone. Daniel may be the classic team's moral compass, but without the flip side of Jack's perception and pragmatism, they would get nowhere.

And of course, Jack's sarcasm undercuts the Goa'uld nicely. As Martin Luther once said, "The best way to drive out the devil, if he will not yield to texts of Scripture, is to jeer and flout him, for he cannot bear scorn." Jack's got that technique down pat. :-)

I would not have expected Jack to be my favorite from this fandom. Usually I'm drawn to characters who are like me in some way: Grissom, Sam Carter, Daniel Jackson, Blair Sandburg and Jim Ellison (for entirely different reason), Sydney Bristow, heck, even Xander or Weiss or Samwise or Eowyn.

Jack's not much like me. Not a deep thinker (usually), isn't good at talking about his feelings, holds a lot back (okay, that's a little bit like me), military mindset including a touch of justifiable paranoia, ready sarcastic wit, strong but often unarticulated bond to people he cares about and is responsible for, man of honor, ruthless when the need arises, a man with a dark past. Not a geek, not a bookworm, not a scholar (except once when the need pressed--see Window of Opportunity). A man of action.

But he probably is the sort of man I would easily fall for--hero-worship or romantically (or both). I have all kinds of sympathy for Sam Carter.
[User Picture]
From:maevebran
Date:September 20th, 2006 12:17 am (UTC)
(Link)
Ok I'm a Jack O'Neill fan. I've seen the first thre episodes, both parts of Mobeus and episode 200 and following. I look forward to watching more. So far I love Col. O'Neill and Daniel Jackson. I look forward to seeing how your observations about him relate to mine.*grin*
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 20th, 2006 04:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Wow, you really *are* a new fan! :-) Welcome! Regardless of who you end up liking best, SG-1 is a lovely place to visit.
[User Picture]
From:jedibuttercup
Date:September 18th, 2006 11:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Aww, kerravonsen picked the one I was going to ask.

How about Julian Bashir?
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 19th, 2006 12:12 am (UTC)
(Link)
*pats your icon lovingly*

Actually, that about sums up my feelings for Julian Bashir. Ever since I started watching the show, he is the one who made me want to hug him and pet him and call him George. :-)

A lot of that stems from his youth, I think. When he arrives on the station, he's so naive. Over-eager, far too intelligent for his own good, and prone to sticking his foot all the way down his throat at the smallest opportunity. One wants to protect him from the big bad world (or maybe the world from him, depending on the situation).

His looks don't hurt; he's just so cute. And the accent--well, I'm a sucker for English accents, so, yeah.

And the fact that he managed to carry a torch for Jadzia Dax for just about the entire series only made me like him more. I turn to mush over male characters who do that (assuming they don't turn into scary stalkers, which he didn't). Complete mush.

That's me around Julian Bashir.
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:September 19th, 2006 01:17 am (UTC)
(Link)
Aww, kerravonsen picked the one I was going to ask.

Yay for Faramir love!
[User Picture]
From:jedibuttercup
Date:September 19th, 2006 01:26 am (UTC)
(Link)
> Yay for Faramir love!

Of course! Book!Faramir is one of the best characters in the history of ever; I always wished he'd gotten more "screen time". I know Tolkien set him up to be a kind of lesser mirror for Aragorn, but though Estel is plenty cool in himself, Faramir's story always interested me more. =)
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:September 19th, 2006 01:44 am (UTC)
(Link)
I think I became more enamoured of Book!Faramir because he got such short shrift in the movies. The underdog reaction.
Mind you, it isn't always that way around -- I think I like Movie!Aragorn more than Book!Aragorn. Probably because he has more overt angst. 8-)
[User Picture]
From:jedibuttercup
Date:September 19th, 2006 01:54 am (UTC)
(Link)
I think I watched the movies about three times through before I realized just how very different all the characters are from their book editions, not just Faramir. All of them are skewed in some way. The genius of the adaption, IMHO, is that all of them are skewed in the same way: a very recognizable LOTR-verse just slightly off true, which manages to be much angstier and condensed than the books are but basically tells the same tale. I think the root is a stronger Ring; Faramir gets the shortest shrift because of it, but it affects a lot of the characters. Including, arguably, the elves and by extension Aragorn's upbringing; if I squint, I can imagine it accounting for Elrond's distinct lack of "kind as summer" in the movie, via Vilya.

Errr, yeah. That is to say, I agree? =)
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:September 19th, 2006 05:47 am (UTC)
(Link)
a very recognizable LOTR-verse just slightly off true, which manages to be much angstier and condensed than the books are but basically tells the same tale. I think the root is a stronger Ring

Ah, yes. I agree, the Ring in the movies was definitely stronger and more able to influence others, and that certainly affected the portrayal of the characters, but I hadn't really considered that that made it like a sort of LOTR-AU with the "what-if" of "what if the Ring was more powerfully able to influence people?" But that idea kind of makes me feel a bit kinder towards Peter Jackson -- it's as if he's writing LOTR-AU fanfic.

Mind you, I still grizzled about Faramir, because I felt as if he was made to succumb so easily because if he hadn't then Aragorn wouldn't have looked so wonderful by comparison. (grrr) Though I think Aragorn looked wonderful enough. (drool)

But I think the character who came off worst wasn't Faramir, but Denathor. He was stripped of all his wisdom and nobility, and was left with nothing but gross madness. 8-(
[User Picture]
From:jedibuttercup
Date:September 19th, 2006 06:54 am (UTC)
(Link)
*wince* I hadn't thought to mention Denethor, since he didn't ever directly come into contact with the Ring. Yeah, none of the Hurins really came off that well in the movies. Even an accurate Boromir is hard to find in the general fanfic archives; the fans who don't demonize him have a tendency to overreact in the other direction and woobify him with lots of puppyish scenes with his brother or the Rohirrim. Well-written Denethor stories are even more difficult to turn up; you'd think Faramir spent his whole childhood with a bloody back, and that the only reason Finduilas married Denethor was because her father sold her to him, the way a lot of fic-writers carry on.

I guess hand-in-hand with a stronger Ring, in movie-AU, came a stronger influence on Denethor through the palantirs?

... I wonder if something to do with the palantirs might somehow explain, in the context of the AU, Saruman's much-too-early death...?

Okay, now I'm thinking about this too much. =)
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:September 19th, 2006 07:18 am (UTC)
(Link)
I guess hand-in-hand with a stronger Ring, in movie-AU, came a stronger influence on Denethor through the palantirs?

Naw, it was just badly done.

They should have got Mel Gibson to play Denethor. He, at least, does crazed-and-dangerous very well. 8-P
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 19th, 2006 05:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Mel? *blinks* I see your point about his ability to play such a character, but that would just have been spectacularly weird to me.
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:September 19th, 2006 10:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I agree that it would have been spectacularly wierd, I would have been doing double-takes along with the rest of you, but after doing all those double-takes at Hugo Weaving playing Elrond, and then finding that he actually did it well, I think that Mel could probably be just as convincing as Hugo was.
[User Picture]
From:scionofgrace
Date:September 19th, 2006 01:58 am (UTC)
(Link)
Well, since you haven't done any Stargate folks yet...

Gen. Hammond.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:September 19th, 2006 08:40 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, no problem here. :-)

General George Hammond holds a very specific set of roles during the first seven seasons of SG-1. He's the base commander (aka authority figure); he's a friend of Jack O'Neill's (not intially, but it doesn't seem to take long); and he is the decision maker, the man with whom the buck (usually) stops.

In other words, he's the man who has to say "no" to a doomed rescue mission when someone has gone missing under dangerous circumstances through the 'Gate--except that as often as he can get away with it, he says "yes" instead. He even joins the mission a few times!

He's the man who has to keep O'Neill in line--except that he trusts Jack's insticts and takes them into account as much as possible.

He's the man who has to report back to Washington and keep the SGC on task--except he cares a lot more about Earth's people and about his own subordinates than about politics, and his actions show it.

To top it all off, over and above his honor, his wisdom, and his thoughtful military mind, he's got grandchildren. From what little we see, I bet you he's the best sort of teddy-bear grandfather anyone could have. A real family man. Plus a sense of humor. :-)

George Hammond is a man I would be proud to follow, but even more proud to count among my friends.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com