?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Some musings on the Tenth Doctor... - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

October 16th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
05:22 am - Some musings on the Tenth Doctor...
I'm four episodes into...er...is there a standardized way of referring to seasons of Doctor Who? All the ads say "series 2", but given the wealth of seasons that came before Nine, I'm reluctant to use that as a designation.

I fell rather hard for the Eccleston's Ninth Doctor, and spent the summer trying to get acquainted with his earlier incarnations (and liking them all, in various ways). I was a little nervous about meeting the next incarnation. However, I guess I shouldn't have worried too much.

I'm only going to say a few things about each episode, because it's late at night and my brain is foggy. :-)


"The Christmas Invasion"

First off, I loved this episode. The danger, the sense of urgency, the cheesily deadly Christmas decorations, Jackie and Mickey and Harriet the PM, sleepwalkers and duels and striped pajamas.

I'm impressed with the decision to give a long stretch of the episode to the panic that happens when they don't have the Doctor to help them out, when Rose gets to try and figure out what to do on her own. I liked that we got a chance to freak out and to grieve along with her, and to see that she's grown.

[On a shallower note, David Tennant is a pretty man and suffers rather beautifully. XD ]

Favorite moments include: Rose and co. are being attacked by an alien Christmas tree, and the comatose Doctor won't wake up...until Rose whispers in his ear, "Help me." The Doctor being revived by tea. The entire duel, especially the delay beforehand while the Doctor tries to figure out himself ("rude, that's the kind of man I am") and say hello to everyone. How gregarious the new incarnation is, as proved by his joyous hugging of Jackie and Mickey, of all people. :-)

And the somewhat ambiguous ending, with Harriet and Torchwood and the Doctor. Two different thoughts on ways to keep Earth safe, and I'm still not quite sure who was right, or if they both were.



"New Earth"

Some clever ideas, like the cat nuns. A really awesome analogy, with the transmission of healing by touch...but without plot logic, it didn't work very well. I felt like this episode was trying to be "The Doctor Dances," but only ended up being a "lite" version.

I did like Cassandra-in-Rose, to a point. There was much amusement to be had.

And I also was intrigued by the tiny subplot with the Face of Bo (sp?). "They say he will tell his secret to one like himself, a wanderer without a home, the lonely god...."



"Tooth and Claw"
Oh, there was much I liked about this one. Humor, and the Queen, and mistletoe oil in the walls of the library to keep out the Wolf. And much creepiness, with the werewolf cult (knowing just enough Latin to cringe at the chant of "lupus deus est").

I loved the intricacies of the wolf's legend, and how it was destroyed.

What I was not amused by (oh, come on, I had to say it) was the sheer giddiness of Rose and the Doctor. I mean, being wowwed by a werewolf is one thing, I didn't mind that. But there were other moments when their squee seemed both excessive and inappropriate, and I really didn't mind that the Queen felt the same way.



"School Reunion"

Oh, oh, this was lovely in so many ways.

All the echoing and reflecting of characters: Rose and Sarah Jane, Mickey and K9 (that made me laugh), and all for the Doctor....

The moments where the Doctor's past and present sort of collide, I thought were well-played. Mickey's stereotypical (I take it) companion scream, K9, Rose finally clueing in to the fact that she wasn't the Doctor's first companion. Oh, and my favorite moment from the Tenth Doctor so far: the first time he sees Sarah Jane, after they've chatted a bit and he's found out she's investigating the school. "Well done, Sarah Jane Smith!" And I swear he had tears in his eyes. Incredibly happy.

I thought the interplay between Rose and Sarah Jane was spot-on. Jealousy giving way to reminiscing and laughter at the poor Doctor's expense. :-)

I thought the plot was pretty good. Of course, Tony Head adds to whatever he's in.

One minor thing, less of a complaint than a sense of rising dread. There were some bits of Doctor-Rose dialogue that used what I think of as "romantic" terminology (well, teen-emo-romantic, anyway), and that kind of got on my nerves. I don't like having to "translate" it back to non-romance, even if that was the actual feeling I got, and even though I already know that Rose thinks in "boyfriend" terms.

I refuse to be pushed into shipping. That is all


Okay. Maybe I'll have more to say later. All comments welcome, though I feel rather a dunce for being like year behind all you overseas people.
Current Mood: tiredtired

(16 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:October 16th, 2006 10:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
is there a standardized way of referring to seasons of Doctor Who? All the ads say "series 2", but given the wealth of seasons that came before Nine, I'm reluctant to use that as a designation.

I tend to compromise and say "New Who series 2" because I kinda lost count which season in total it was supposed to be, and also because everyone will know what you mean, at least.

The Christmas Invasion:
I'm impressed with the decision to give a long stretch of the episode to the panic that happens when they don't have the Doctor to help them out, when Rose gets to try and figure out what to do on her own. I liked that we got a chance to freak out and to grieve along with her, and to see that she's grown.

Actually, I loathed that. Because they didn't figure out what to do on their own, they just were completey useless to the point of character assassination. I mean, whatever happened to the Rose who was able to think on her feet while the Doctor was about to be thrown into a pit, grab a chain and rescue him? I also revolted against the blatant and unsubtle manipulation that was going on -- this was Doctor!Sue, because RTD was so scared that people would be upset at the change of Doctor, that he had to wallop us on the head with how fantastic he is and how helpless everybody on the entire planet is without him to rescue them (forcing the Harriet Jones to beg on television -- pah!). I hated, hated all that. I wanted to be allowed to judge for myself whether I liked this Doctor or not, and how the heck can one assess somebody who spends 90% of the episode in a coma?

Thing is, I don't hate the 10th Doctor, I hate the bad writing. I think I fell in like with the 10th Doctor when I saw (yes, bittorrent is my friend) the 2005 "Children In Need" special, which was a five-minute scene which bridged between "Parting of the Ways" and "The Christmas Invasion". It was lovely, and perfect, and showed much better, in five minutes, how Rose reacted to a new Doctor, and how this was still the Doctor, the same yet different. I was really looking forward to seeing what happened next.

And then The Christmas Invasion happened, and undid all the good that those five minutes had done.

On the other hand, yes, there were lots of individual bits that were great. Like Harriet Jones "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister" and "Tell the President I don't work for him"...

New Earth:
I felt like this episode was trying to be "The Doctor Dances," but only ended up being a "lite" version.
You're not the only one.
Again, this one had isolated bits to like, but as a whole, lacked sense.

Tooth And Claw:
What I was not amused by (oh, come on, I had to say it) was the sheer giddiness of Rose and the Doctor. I mean, being wowwed by a werewolf is one thing, I didn't mind that. But there were other moments when their squee seemed both excessive and inappropriate, and I really didn't mind that the Queen felt the same way.

I hated the giddiness so much that I haven't rewatched it since, even though Queen Victoria was awesome.

School Reunion:
Oh, oh, this was lovely in so many ways.

Oh yes, indeed. I, too, loved the Doctor and his "Well done, Sarah Jane Smith!" and all that.

One minor thing, less of a complaint than a sense of rising dread. There were some bits of Doctor-Rose dialogue that used what I think of as "romantic" terminology (well, teen-emo-romantic, anyway), and that kind of got on my nerves. I don't like having to "translate" it back to non-romance, even if that was the actual feeling I got, and even though I already know that Rose thinks in "boyfriend" terms.

Your sense of rising dread is spot on, alas. And it gets worse by the end of the season. In the very last ten minutes of the last episode I wanted to slap Rose and bury her in a peat bog. Teen!emo!romantic, in the most irritating way. (However, don't let that make you dread the last episode, it was good until that point)

But my favourite episodes of this season are probably "School Reunion" and "The Girl in the Fireplace" (which is the one after that).
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:October 16th, 2006 05:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I tend to compromise and say "New Who series 2" because I kinda lost count which season in total it was supposed to be, and also because everyone will know what you mean, at least.

I believe I shall do the same. Thanks.

The Christmas Invasion:
I'm impressed with the decision to give a long stretch of the episode to the panic that happens when they don't have the Doctor to help them out, when Rose gets to try and figure out what to do on her own.

Actually, I loathed that. Because they didn't figure out what to do on their own, they just were completey useless to the point of character assassination. [snip] I wanted to be allowed to judge for myself whether I liked this Doctor or not, and how the heck can one assess somebody who spends 90% of the episode in a coma?

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the "fantastic". *shrug* And for the angst. I can see your points, but I still liked it, and maybe RTD shouldn't be pandering to the new fans, but I thought it was probably wise to give the newbies some leeway in the changeover from Nine to Ten. (Though I suppose it could be argued that it indicates a lack of trust in his audience, the idea that making us do without the Doctor for a majority of the episode might encourage us to embrace the new incarnation more fully.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found New Earth lacking.

Tooth and Claw:
I hated the giddiness so much that I haven't rewatched it since, even though Queen Victoria was awesome.

Yeah, that's about how I feel. I liked the whole plot, too, and there was some fun thematic stuff going on about loss, and magic vs. "reality" ("my world," the Queen keeps saying, as if she could make up all the rules to suit her point of view).

But the excessive squee may prevent me from going back to this one very often.

I, too, loved the Doctor and his "Well done, Sarah Jane Smith!" and all that.

Amusingly, the day before this episode aired, I got a DVD in the mail from Netflix. Lo and behold, it's an adventure with the Fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith. :-)

Your sense of rising dread is spot on, alas.

Gosh dang it. *pouts*

Glad I have the Ninth Doctor DVDs.
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:October 16th, 2006 09:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Glad I have the Ninth Doctor DVDs.

Aye, me too. (hugs Nine)
[User Picture]
From:mistraltoes
Date:October 16th, 2006 12:19 pm (UTC)
(Link)
At least you're not last; you're ahead of me. I've got 'em taped, but haven't had time to watch 'em.

I never refer to seasons, only Doctors. But New Who 2 is fairly common.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:October 16th, 2006 04:41 pm (UTC)
(Link)
At least you're not last; you're ahead of me. I've got 'em taped, but haven't had time to watch 'em.

Aw. Well, there is that (me and my roommate watched "School Reunion" twice in a row...um, I think we're both rather hooked on this show).
[User Picture]
From:astrogirl2
Date:October 16th, 2006 03:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm with you and kerravonsen... That giddy, excessive, utterly inappropriate Doctor'n'Rose squeefest seems to go on all season long, though it's perhaps worst (or at least most obviously inappropriate) in "Tooth and Claw," and it irritates the heck out of me. There are many, many things I loved about this season, but that's a major fly in the ointment for me, for sure. Ditto the "romantic" coding, which I think just gets worse as time goes on. I don't mind there being subtext, actually, I just wish it were... subtler. It gets kind of clunky, alas.

Oh, and while I really do think it's properly termed "season 28," because it's absolutely a continuation of the old show, I keep referring to it as "season 2," because, well, everybody else does.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:October 16th, 2006 04:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
(that icon is luv)

That giddy, excessive, utterly inappropriate Doctor'n'Rose squeefest seems to go on all season long, though it's perhaps worst (or at least most obviously inappropriate) in "Tooth and Claw,"

So, part of me is reacting to these comments with "omg tell me it isn't so!" and part of me is relieved that you say it's at its worst in "Tooth and Claw," because if I could get through that, then I'll be at least okay for the rest of the season. Heh.

Ditto the "romantic" coding, which I think just gets worse as time goes on.

Geez. Fun. (Thank you for tossing otu the appropriate word, "coding," which I could not find in my fuzzy brain last night!) The thing is, I don't mind this when it's used properly, by certain characters, as a metaphor for certain processes or relationships. Ie, when Mickey hears who Sarah Jane is, and responds, "The missus and the ex--welcome to every man's worst nightmare," I thought that was excellent, because that's really the vibe that's happening between Sarah and Rose at the moment, and of course Mickey would say it like that and be gleeful about it, to boot.

It just doesn't feel right between Rose and the Doctor. Hmph.
[User Picture]
From:astrogirl2
Date:October 16th, 2006 11:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Isn't this a wonderful icon? It's by calapine, and it makes me happy every time I look at it. :)

It just doesn't feel right between Rose and the Doctor. Hmph.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, although I find it kind of hard to articulate exactly why. I think in large part it's because it feels forced, like something imposed by the writers from the outside, rather than something organic that grows between the characters, and that always strikes a false note.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:October 17th, 2006 12:37 am (UTC)
(Link)
I think in large part it's because it feels forced, like something imposed by the writers from the outside

Yeah. I think that's pretty much it.
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:October 16th, 2006 09:30 pm (UTC)
(Link)
though it's perhaps worst (or at least most obviously inappropriate) in "Tooth and Claw,"

Yes, it probably is the most inappropriate in Tooth and Claw, because it's sort of "What the heck? What are they smoking?" in that episode, wheras later on it's a bit more under control.

Oh, and while I really do think it's properly termed "season 28," because it's absolutely a continuation of the old show

I think I get confused because, like, where does the 8th Doctor fit in? Does he get a one-episode season, or is he completely ignored in the season-count?
[User Picture]
From:astrogirl2
Date:October 16th, 2006 11:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It's also more inappropriate in "Tooth and Claw" because the way they treat Queen Victoria and the whole situation is just very not cool. It's not just silly, it's callous, and that's one thing the Doctor should never be.

As for Eight, hmm. I think a movie is a different thing from a season. So while I think Eight counts, in the sense that (unlike some) I regard the movie as completely canonical (and just explain away the bits I really don't like :)), I don't think it counts in the season-count.

And that is way too many used of the word "count," right there. :)
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:October 17th, 2006 12:17 am (UTC)
(Link)
It's also more inappropriate in "Tooth and Claw" because the way they treat Queen Victoria and the whole situation is just very not cool. It's not just silly, it's callous, and that's one thing the Doctor should never be.

Oh yes! I agree totally. They were behaving as if this human being (Queen Victoria) was an object, as if the whole universe was just there for their entertainment. That was the worst part of it.
[User Picture]
From:scorptilicus
Date:October 16th, 2006 05:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
They're all sitting on tapes, waiting to be viewed (even though I've already seen all four of them. Don't tell the government that part.)

That said, my only comment at the moment is that the immature male in me thought "New Earth" was the BEST EPISODE EVER!!!
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:October 16th, 2006 06:54 pm (UTC)
(Link)
That said, my only comment at the moment is that the immature male in me thought "New Earth" was the BEST EPISODE EVER!!!

*facepalm* Naturally. Heh.
[User Picture]
From:scionofgrace
Date:October 17th, 2006 01:34 am (UTC)
(Link)
The Tenth Doctor is the only one I've seen at this point, and I love him ever so... You know what's just cool though? In all these episodes? It's all the backstory. When we watched "School Reunion" and they got to K-9 and Mary (my roommie) squeed aloud from recognition, I knew I'd got into something cool, because this is such a long series that actually revisits old stuff!

I think, with the being behind the UK thing, that we Americans are getting a taste of our own medicine.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:October 17th, 2006 05:22 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The backstory is, indeed, very cool. :-) (Though I urge you to seek out the Ninth Doctor DVDs!)

I think, with the being behind the UK thing, that we Americans are getting a taste of our own medicine.

Heh. Yeah, that's true enough. Oh well!

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com