?

Log in

No account? Create an account
2008 Fic Year in Review - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

January 3rd, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
10:07 pm - 2008 Fic Year in Review
A little late, my year of fic review!


the fic year in review


stories i wrote this year:

In chronological order (completed, or standalone series fragments):


1. Out In the Cold (Numb3rs)
And now he had lost track of Megan, in this house of carven wood and wine-dark wallpaper. Megan/Larry, spoilers for “Tabu.” Written for numb3rswriteoff’s canon-het challenge, prompt: bitter.

2. Breathe For Me (Numb3rs)
Megan and Colby in the aftermath of “Trust Metric.” Still breathing.

3. Remembrance Of (The Son’s Remix) (Numb3rs)
Sometimes the most important story isn’t the one we think to tell. Spoilers for “Trust Metric.”
Written for remixthedrabble; a 100-word remix of emmademarais’s fic Remembrance of Friends Passed.

4. In Fire, Some Say In Ice (multiple fandoms)
”Some say the world will end in fire/ Some say in ice. . . .” What “the end of the world” might look like from the viewpoints of Dean Winchester, Blair Sandburg, Sam Carter, Bobby Hobbes, and Charlie Eppes. 5 thematically linked stand-alone fics. Warnings for angst and character death; specific spoilers for Supernatural season 3.

5. Excavation (Numb3rs)
How tight can you hold on before things slip away altogether? David’s not sure anymore. Post-“When Worlds Collide.” Written for the numb3rswriteoff gen challenge, Team Angst, prompt: mudslide.

6. G is for Gratitude (Stargate SG-1)
Written as part of Hammond Alphabet Soup, a tribute to Don S. Davis. “A thankful heart has a continual feast.” Minor spoilers up through season 8, especially for “Fire and Water,” “Meridian,” and “Lost City.”

7. The Smart Thing (Miami Vice)
”Hell, we’re your partners.” Switek has some decisions to make after the events of “Hard Knocks.”

8. The Wavelength of Ruby (Numb3rs)
He closes his eyes, takes a deep breath. He has work to do, a goal to accomplish, he can’t let this get to him. Can’t let her get to him. Warning for implied character death. Written for the numb3rswriteoff Don challenge, Team Angst, prompt: ruby.

9. Black and Blue (The Sentinel/Sandman)
He’s vividly aware of everything around him, the whip of vines and branches against his bare arms, the sudden, tiny dips and crests of the earth under his feet, the myriad scents that sketch out a picture of the world beyond its infinite shades of blue. Birthday present for kerravonsen! :-)

10. Haunted (The Irreplaceable Remix) (Stargate SG-1)
Written for remixthedrabble; a 100-word remix of doctorv’s fic Pretending (warning, original fic is PG-rated Jack/Daniel). Vague spoilers for season 6, “Foothold,” “Meridian,” and “Smoke and Mirrors.”


my new WIP's were:

Each Should Carry (Supernatural) The story my betas persist in referring to as visions!Dean. What is posted is not complete, it isn’t even corrected; I won’t be posting it as an actual WIP, but as a finished story, once that happens. I’m about 2/5 of the way into it, I think, counting the completed portion that remains unposted.


my favorite story of the year. not the most popular, but the one that makes me happiest:

Out In the Cold (Numb3rs)
Because I got to write Larry/Megan, slotted neatly into canon. And because I managed to cram pretty much all the meanings of my prompt word (“bitter”) into this short fic. I win! *g*

From my past year of writing, what was...

my best story:


Breathe For Me (Numb3rs)

story most under-appreciated by the universe:

The Smart Thing (because it’s Miami Vice; I’m astonished I was even able to find a beta!)

most fun:

Black and Blue (The Sentinel/Sandman)

Because I’d never thought to cross The Sentinel with Sandman, and the initial image (Death petting Jim’s black spirit jaguar) filled me with glee. :)

most disappointing:

Excavation (Numb3rs)
Not because it was bad, but because I think it could have been so much better. *sigh*

story with single sweetest moment:

Remembrance Of (The Son’s Remix) (Numb3rs)
Colby telling Dwayne’s young son, “The bad guys caught me, but your dad saved me. He was really brave.”

story with most interesting idea:

Black and Blue (The Sentinel/Sandman)
As I said, Death petting Jim's spirit jaguar. What is not awesome about that? *g*

hardest story to write:

In Fire, Some Say In Ice

Specifically, #1, the Dean story. I’ve never understood why a writer would despair over a story, but this one nearly drove me over the edge. Struggling with it, during a horrible month in RL, was one of the most unpleasant experiences of this past year. God bless my beta feliciakw, who helped me come through intact.

easiest story to write:

In Fire, Some Say In Ice

Specifically, #3, the Stargate story. :) Oh my gosh, I had so much fun taking the classic team to the end of their world–their voices just flowed, I made very few changes from the first draft to the last, and as a bonus, out of all 5 ficlets in this project, this one got the best response.

most unintentionally telling story:

I always find myself wanting to say “no comment” to this question. Um. This year I think that would be G is for Gratitude (Stargate SG-1). Written during an incredibly stressful month, it reminded me of some things I needed to consider.

most "OHMIGOD HEY *I* WROTE THAT" fanon-turned-canon moment:

Supernatural did one of my spec ideas, including specifically a scene where Dean hallucinates that Sam is possessed by the Yellow-Eyed Demon. *facepalm* That’s the second time this show has trumped my spec ideas!

looking back, did you write more fic than you thought you would did this year, less, or about what you'd predicted?

I wrote more than I originally planned to, in terms of fanfiction. In my defense, I also made considerable progress on original projects, and there were extenuating circumstances in the form of being laid off from work.

what pairing/genre/fandom did you write that you would never have predicted in january 2008?

Miami freakin’ Vice, thank you very much. *laughs*

what's your favorite story of the year?

I can never pick just one for this question:

Walked Right Out of the Machinery (Stargate Sg-1, AU), by rydra_wong
What might have happened if Ba’al’s Jaffa had gotten to the blended Jack 30 seconds earlier (in “Abyss”). A richly-imagined AU, with a wonderfully subtle and accurate character voice.

weathercock snowfall (starlight cockcrow) (Supernatural), by kroki_refur
An end of season 3 AU that blends a pre-series story with a stomach-clenching present-day predicament, story and ending and brother interaction perfectly executed.

Basium Angeli (Supernatural), by feliciakw
A sweet missing scene for "Jus in Bello." Dean/Nancy.

More Things in Heaven and Earth (Numb3rs/Doctor Who), by astrogirl2
Larry saw something amazing when he was in space, and he's trying to process it. One of the best Larry-voices I've ever heard, and in my opinion this slots neatly into Numb3rs canon.


did you take any writing risks this year?

I submitted my CSI spec script “Bluebeard” to the ABC/Disney Writing Fellowship, does that count?

I used a kind of experimental structure in The Wavelength of Ruby (Numb3rs), which worked for some readers and confused others greatly. (The clue to how I arranged the structure is in the title: the idea of Don as a laser, where light is focused and mirrored back and forth, down into one hyper-intense beam.)

what fanfic or profic goals did you make last year, and how did you do in meeting them?

These are my goals from last year:
Profic: finish CSI spec rewrite according to notes from my writer’s group, and polish it to the point where I can submit it for the Disney Fellowship this coming July.
Done! *glee*

Write complete first draft of my movie, dammit! Fix the plot of my Supernatural spec; finish writing it. Find plots for a couple of other TV specs (Numb3rs, Bones, House).

Didn’t get the movie draft done, although I did rework the plot and am still planning to write it, soon. Supernatural spec was killed by the show, AGAIN, but I do have about 2 ideas each for specs for Bones, House, Supernatural, and Numb3rs.

Set aside at least two evenings per week to work on profic, or if I’m stuck on those projects, on fanfic. The point being to make time for the craft instead of just using the cracks around my work and social life and TV watching.

Did this to a degree, but because of the change in schedule, it didn’t turn out to be all that useful.

Fanfic: write less of it, putting more energy into specs/profic. Finish at least one of my longer projects. Finish that darn TS AU short fic (you know the one, feliciakw). *sigh*

I did write less fan fiction, as you can see if you compare this entry with previous years. Did not finish any of my longer projects (wah!). Did not finish that TS AU short fic, which has been in my brain for going on 7 years now.

Am still in fandom. :-)


do you have any fanfic or profic goals for the new year?

Profic: Write a full draft (at least) of my murder mystery feature. Write either another TV spec or an original TV pilot.

Fanfic: write less of it, putting more energy into specs/profic. Finish at least one of my longer projects (hopefully "Each Should Carry"). Finish that darn TS AU short fic.

Current Mood: tiredtired

(22 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:leelust
Date:January 4th, 2009 07:37 am (UTC)
(Link)
Finish at least one of my longer projects (hopefully "Each Should Carry").
Yes, please, this please.

write less of it, putting more energy into specs/profic
May i ask why? Just curious.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 4th, 2009 07:54 am (UTC)
(Link)
:-)

I want to start writing more scripts and screenplays because eventually I want to write for television for a living, and actually get paid for it. I don't know if I'll ever stop writing fic entirely, but I do need to make room for the career I want to have, and I'm starting now.
[User Picture]
From:leelust
Date:January 4th, 2009 10:59 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, that's i understand but i think writing fics helps you sharpen your skill as writer so it's good too :)
[User Picture]
From:feliciakw
Date:January 4th, 2009 12:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Re: "Basium Angeli" . . . aw, thanks. Yes, you did seem kind of fond of that one when you beta-ed.d :-)

Re: visions!Dean (or as you insist on calling it, "Each Should Carry" *g*) . . . this is the only fic I shall mercilessly pester you about. I will also mercilessly pester you about the movie script. I will assists but not instigate the TS AU, if you request it.

Re: CSI spec script . . . Yay!

Re: Bones spec script . . . I sent you the link for the communter carpooling site, yes?

Hope you had a good trip back to CA. I'll be interested to hear about your visit.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 4th, 2009 07:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hmmm, if you did send me that link, I think I misplaced it. Send again? (That is involved in one of the ideas I'm playing with for a Bones spec, yes.)

I had a lovely visit--we'll have to chat soon. Love you, my friend.
[User Picture]
From:astrogirl2
Date:January 4th, 2009 04:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
One of the best Larry-voices I've ever heard, and in my opinion this slots neatly into Numb3rs canon.

Awww! *blush* I have to say, having now seen all of S4, it does slot into canon much better than I was worried it would. :)
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 5th, 2009 05:21 am (UTC)
(Link)
I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. That was one of the most awesome fics I read this year, and I will tell everyone about it. :-)
[User Picture]
From:astrogirl2
Date:January 5th, 2009 05:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
Well, thank you. I'm very, very glad that it worked for you. :)
[User Picture]
From:snickelish
Date:January 4th, 2009 10:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Sigh. This is why I read so little of your fic - out of all those fandoms, I've read the first two volumes of Sandman (and will read the rest when I can get ahold of them) and have seen about three episodes of SG1. Thus I must cheer on your profic endeavors, so I can watch them on TV. :)
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 5th, 2009 05:18 am (UTC)
(Link)
Aww. I'm surprised we ended up friending each other--usually it's through fandoms. :-) I'll see if I can write anything in your fandoms someday. (What do we share? Buffy?)
[User Picture]
From:snickelish
Date:January 5th, 2009 05:53 am (UTC)
(Link)
I think the friending had as much to do with kalquessa as anything else, plus I think there was a discussion of House a few seasons back. Mostly, I just really enjoy reading your fannishness from a position of faith, even if they're not my fandoms. There are not so many folks online interested in both stories in pop culture (TV, etc) and Christianity, and a lot of those that are tend to have an activist-from-the-outside mindset - at least, a lot of the folks I've found. If you have any activism, it seems to be activism-from-the-inside, ie, writing the TV you want to see, which is really refreshing.

The Buffyverse is my big fandom, also House (through season 4 - this season has fallen by the wayside with all my other TV), Firefly, SeaQuest DSV (now there's a blast from the past)... But what happened to that "write less fanfic" resolution? *g*
[User Picture]
From:kalquessa
Date:January 5th, 2009 04:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
We homeschooled Christian geek girls must stick together! *grin*

Oh, I'd forgotten you were a Firefly fan. Izh has awesome Firefly fic! Let me show you it:

A Little Diversion (Good clean fun with Zoe and Jayne.)

Flying Lessons (Inspired the Wash icon with G.K. Chesterton quotage that I made for Izh.)

The Nameless Seeker (My personal favorite because Book is awesome, as are fairy tales and clever use of scriptural references.)

Also, you should watch more Stargate. EVERYONE should watch more Stargate because it is filled with happy!
[User Picture]
From:snickelish
Date:January 5th, 2009 05:54 pm (UTC)
(Link)
We homeschooled Christian geek girls must stick together!

Yah! *g*

The Firefly fics are actually her fics that I *have* read, and I was squeeing to her about "Flying Lessons" very recently. And, agreed, they are lovely.

Alas, I fail at the watching of Stargate. I've really tried, honestly, over the course of several years, and I keep hanging up on "I don't believe this alien culture would actually work this way" or "Don't touch that, stupid! Idiot, you touched it!" or being able to predict every plot development a good five minutes before it happens. This shouldn't bother me; I have all the same objections to ST:TNG, and I manage to enjoy that a lot - but mostly for the snark opportunities. I dunno.

Also, *shamed whisper* I can't muster any enthusiams for any of the characters on Stargate. /end whisper
[User Picture]
From:kalquessa
Date:January 5th, 2009 06:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Wah, my overenthusiastic pimping of Izh's fics is for nothing.

Yeah, I have a few people who can't get into Stargate for the same reasons, and it took me a long time to really give the show a real try because my initial impression was "Um...this show is really lame." But for some reason, i came to love it in all its goofy glory. And see for me, it works the over way 'round: I love Stargate, even when I'm snarking it, but Star Trek is sort of wasted on me. I can watch it and enjoy myself, but mostly because I'm making fun of it, and I don't really care about any of the characters very much. *shrug*
[User Picture]
From:mistraltoes
Date:January 5th, 2009 01:04 am (UTC)
(Link)
I dunno, I didn't think Excavation was so bad. I remember enjoying it (although I see I didn't comment, sorry). I wasn't sure that the voice was spot on, but David is probably the hardest one of the regulars for me, so I'm not a good judge of that. And it was the first time you'd done his POV, yeah? I'd say that was a pretty good first.

Re: writing less fanfic. I'm not sure you need to do that as much as you just need to learn (as I do) to write faster. Because if you're going to work in television, you'll have to write fast. Also, getting the voices right will be important, and fanfic is terrific practice for voices.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 5th, 2009 05:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
No, "Excavation" isn't a bad little story--I just had something a little different (deeper, whatever) in mind, and out of all my stories this year, that's the one that really didn't quite match up to its idea. David's awfully fun to write, though, if very difficult (as you say). I'm going to have to try him again sometime.

LOL, I didn't expect to get two people objecting to me writing less fic! Writing fic has (and I assume will continue to be) great practice at writing voices. The main reason I want to cut down, though, is that I need to be more disciplined about *what* I'm working on, so I work enough on the profic to actually get better and faster at it. So I may or may not actually write less fic, but I certainly need to be better about squeezing it into corners and generally making it a lower priority in my life. (Not that I want to lose any quality, don't worry about that.)
[User Picture]
From:mistraltoes
Date:January 5th, 2009 05:41 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm not objecting to your writing less fic, per se. I know we'd all miss it, but you have to do what's best for your career. No, I'm just pointing out that fic is even better practice at writing for you as a potential TV scriptwriter than it is for a potential novelist. It seems to me that the important thing is that you write. Scads of anything, as quick and as well as you can, really.

I think what I'm really saying is don't tell yourself, "I can't write X because I should be writing Y," and then wind up writing nothing at all. That would be a great deal worse for you than writing fanfic.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 5th, 2009 06:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
I think what I'm really saying is don't tell yourself, "I can't write X because I should be writing Y," and then wind up writing nothing at all. That would be a great deal worse for you than writing fanfic.

That is extremely true (and I can't say I haven't done this in the past, because I have). However, I have gotten to the point where I usually have a fic in progress with me as well as whatever original piece I'm working on, so I have something to stretch my brain with if I get too stuck. I want to work that way more *intentionally* in this new year.
[User Picture]
From:mistraltoes
Date:January 5th, 2009 06:54 am (UTC)
(Link)
Sounds like a plan! I think Don and Larry would both approve.
[User Picture]
From:kalquessa
Date:January 5th, 2009 05:38 am (UTC)
(Link)
I had missed your N3 remix drabble somehow (maybe I hadn't seen the required eps at the time?) so I'm glad you're good about posting these round-ups because I would have hated to miss it.

Silly Izh, it is you who are confused about the title of visions!Dean. *smirk*

Oh my gosh, I had so much fun taking the classic team to the end of their world–

If I had to choose one fandom to take with me to the end of the world, it would totally be SG-1. *clings to them*

I just never do the "unintentionally telling" story question because, um...far as I can tell, the only thing my fic says about me is that I like to giggle and I'm not really picky about how said giggling is achieved.

Will call you in the next few days to ask about your trip!
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 5th, 2009 06:37 am (UTC)
(Link)
I look forward to chatting! And to seeing you in a couple of weeks! Pray for me--I have to study tomorrow and teach on Tuesday, and it's been over a month so I'm all out of the habit!

Glad you finally saw the drabble remix! What did you think?
[User Picture]
From:kalquessa
Date:January 5th, 2009 04:45 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yay chatting! Yay visiting you next week!

My response to the drabble is mostly "I heart Colby." Very nicely done little piece.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com