February 19th, 2009
|12:21 pm - Random update post|
So, for some reason I really feel like posting, but I don't have an essay or anything to share with you all, so this will be kind of a random collection of things. :)
So, this week's episode of House (the one with the priest) was made of win. Watching House spar a little more gently than usual with the man who's serving a God he believes has abandoned him was really interesting, and I bought that some of House's interest was because of the situation with Cuddy.
Also? Thirteen and Foreman fooling House? \o/ I actually did not see that coming. Way to go, you guys! You show 'im! (and I don't even like 13, so.)
1) I am still without work. This resulted, this morning, in my being home to answer the door to a guy in a suit who was trying to drum up financial management business in my well-to-do neighborhood. Friendly and kind of cute, so I actually enjoyed bantering with him about the state of the economy for a few minutes as I danced around actually letting him give me information, etc.
2) I'm glad my class of new Stephen Ministers is well on the way to being integrated into the ministry, but I'm also stressed about how this is going to work, and our new Caring Ministries pastor is so hands-on that I'm afraid I'm going to end up butting heads with her, even though she's really cool and I like her.
3) I've been dreaming about people I know for the past few days. Hmmm. (Well, for one person I can guess why, but it's not normal for my dreams to be almost completely *peopled* with RL characters.)
4) I haven't had the energy to write much lately. Last night I wrote almost a page of a new Larry/Megan fic! (I have other projects I need to work on, but at least I'm writing SOMETHING.)
5) I'm going to go catch up on LOST in a few minutes.
6) I filed my taxes on Monday! And I am getting a sweet federal refund this year, which is sorely needed and makes me very happy and thankful.
For my fellow NCIS fans: 'NCIS' actor's portrayal is dead on. David McCallum, how are you so completely awesome?
And because I utterly failed to rec it when she posted *facepalm*: If you haven't read kalquessa's latest fic, you're missing out.
Barefoot Girl (Supernatural/Time Traveler's Wife)
The first time Dean meets Alba, she sees him first.
A wonderful crossover, fluffy and angsty and perfectly fitted together. Warning: contains references to time travel. *g*
Is that ship being called 134man? Because it totally should.
|Date:||February 19th, 2009 09:45 pm (UTC)|| |
Not that I know of, but in this ep House referred to them (collectively) as Foreteen, so apparently House likes portmanteau names for his 'shipping... *g*
Edited at 2009-02-19 09:46 pm (UTC)
I heard this nickname the week after they got together on the show... and I wondered when I watched House last night if the writers had picked it up off the net.
It was a good ep. I've been watching the first season on the net this past week or so. The show has changed a lot (and the character of House too) but I don't think it's improved with age.
|Date:||February 19th, 2009 11:56 pm (UTC)|| |
I'm interested to hear how you think it's changed. Most people whom I've heard complain about that point to the fact that they think House *doesn't* change. (I do agree that it was a better show, overall, in earlier seasons.)
2. Gah, hope this doesn't become an issue.
And thank you for the rec! *bounces*
|Date:||February 19th, 2009 09:47 pm (UTC)|| |
4. Honestly, I was worried because this fic just wasn't coming along, but once I sort of figured out what was up with Megan (this is a sequel to Out in the Cold, actually) and how Larry was reacting to it, it started coming to me. Yayz!
I only rec good fic. *g*
David McCallum, how are you so completely awesome?
Why did nobody tell me he was a regular on NCIS? I would have actually watched it then. Is it out on DVD?
|Date:||February 19th, 2009 11:53 pm (UTC)|| |
I can't believe nobody told you. I'm sorry I didn't! Yeah, at least the first few seasons are on DVD. He's a regular, though not one of the major team; and he's part of one of the buddy pairs on the show, too. :)
I liked the House ep well enough, but once, just once, I'd like to see an atheist on TV who wasn't all bitter and disillusioned and unhappy. Some of us really are quite cheerful and pleasant, really. :)
|Date:||February 19th, 2009 11:55 pm (UTC)|| |
How about Temperance Brennan, on Bones? I guess she's more of a rationalist than an atheist. Ditto Charlie Eppes.
I have no idea who that first one is, and only a vague notion of the second. Apparently I am not watching the right shows. :) But, yes, there is Charlie, I guess, although he's pretty low-key about it. *hugs sweet lil non-theist Charlie*
|Date:||February 20th, 2009 12:58 am (UTC)|| |
Bones is actually Brennan's nickname; I wonder if you'd like that show? It amuses me...the science isn't always right, and it's sort of CSI-lite in terms of plots, but the characters are great, all geeks except Agent Booth (David Boreanez). Bones is a rationalist (and thus an atheist--or at least a non-theist); Booth is her partner, and he's Catholic. So there's some interesting give-and-take, there.
I have meant to check it out... I've got the first season listed on my near-infinite Netflix queue somewhere. It does sound like it might be something I'd enjoy.
the science isn't always right
I have yet to see a show where it is. Well... Mythbusters. :)