?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Happy Independance Day to my fellow Americans! - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

July 4th, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
10:34 am - Happy Independance Day to my fellow Americans!
I am ridiculously proud to live in the United States of America. Wouldn't give up my citizenship if you begged me or paid me millions of dollars--it's truly the best place in the world to belong, at least to my mind. :)

God bless America!
Current Mood: patriotic

(9 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:whitemartyr
Date:July 4th, 2009 10:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It's good to like where you're from! Happy day!
[User Picture]
From:fpb
Date:July 4th, 2009 11:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
"Nobody loves their country because it is great, but because it is theirs." (Seneca)

Of course it helps if you have plenty to brag about...
...like we Italians do.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:July 5th, 2009 05:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Heh. True enough, that quote; but we Americans do have quite a bit to brag about as well. (The Roman empire we are not, yet.)
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:July 5th, 2009 12:12 am (UTC)
(Link)
That's because you've never lived in Australia. 8-P

Mind you, we don't go around telling people how great Australia is because it's so obvious it doesn't need saying. (grin)
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:July 5th, 2009 05:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ha! :)

Well, as much as I look forward to visiting Australia someday (possibly sooner than later, as my boyfriend was just in Sydney for work and loved it a lot), I have a feeling it would affect me rather as Canada did: I lived there for 3 years for university, and it's a beautiful place with lovely people, yet I never wanted to move there permanently.
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:July 5th, 2009 06:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
yet I never wanted to move there permanently
Because it isn't home.

I think, if I had to move to another country, I'd feel more comfortable in a Commonwealth country (such as Canada, New Zealand, UK) because the cultures have more in common. I had a strangely fascinating experience in '93, when I visited Berkeley, and then visited Victoria, B.C.; even though I was only in Victoria for three days, it felt more like home than Berkeley; I felt as if I were in some strange Australian city that I'd never been in before; it just had a completely different feel.
[User Picture]
From:feliciakw
Date:July 5th, 2009 08:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I've never been to Berkley, but I feel confident in saying that Berkley is not the norm for mainstream or "average" America. I'm an American, and I'd be very uncomfortable in Berkley. I don't know if you've ever been anywhere else in the USA, but Berkley isn't particularly representative of the rest of the country.

What you say makes sense. It makes sense that someone from one of the Commonwealth countries you mention would feel more at home in one of the others, rather than the US.

And I'm with Izhi. I would love to visit Australia--and New Zealand--someday. (Heck, I'd also like to visit the Pacific Northwest, both the US and Canada.)
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:July 5th, 2009 11:58 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, I have visited other parts of the States; I also lived in Berkeley for six months in 1980. I'd rather live in Berkeley than, say, Dallas.
[User Picture]
From:feliciakw
Date:July 5th, 2009 02:55 am (UTC)
(Link)
And a happy Independence Day your own self! Honestly, I can't imagine living anywhere else. And there are some things about our history (like the fact that we are allies with the country from which we broke via violent revolution) that I'm ridiculously proud of, too.

We are so vast and so diverse and so . . . much. "From the mountains to the prairie to the ocean white with foam," you know? Or, you know, the entire poem of "America the Beautiful."

For all my missing Ohio and family and cookouts today (I had to work the theater's open house), I must say I'm glad to be living in a town where I can watch the fireworks without having to brave a sea of people. And they really were a great display. After several years of no fireworks at all (not even sparklers), it was a nice change.

And I'm tickled you finally got to see 1776. Now you have to get a hold of the Broadway recording of the show, because the movie cuts out one of my favorite verses of "Piddle, Twiddle." And did the cut you saw have "Cool Considerate Men"?

Yes, I believe it is noted as being the musical with the longest stretch without music. And I so wish I'd seen the show when I was actually studying the stuff. It makes such a difference when you can see these people as more than just words on a page, but real, living, breathing people with motives and emotions and personalities and the like. It was actually 1776 that made me realize how much I respect John and Abigail Adams.

Good stuff, indeed.

Happy 4th of July!

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com