?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Thought for the Day - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

January 18th, 2010


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
09:17 am - Thought for the Day
I've had a lot of people tell me that I am wise. It's true I often somehow have thoughts about a situation or relationship that I'm told about (or see) that turn out to be profound and even useful, whether or not I've been in a situation anything like it before.

I feel like I rarely have that same wisdom about my own life, even while I am deeply and intentionally self-aware.

I think I know why, now.

If wise people were wise about themselves as well as others, then they would be completely independent. They would need no one and nothing. Having limits to one's wisdom forces one to reach out to others for love, for help, for a sounding board.

It's a great good thing, really.
Current Mood: contemplativecontemplative

(6 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:kalquessa
Date:January 18th, 2010 06:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes. It's just plain easier to be wise about other people's business because it isn't yours, and your eyes are fresh. Which is, as you say, a good thing. It makes us come to other people for the sake of their fresh eyes and if we stay after that because we've become dear to one another, then yay!
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 19th, 2010 04:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yes, exactly. :) Which is sometimes hard for us independent types to grasp, but I think I'm properly starting to get it.
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:January 18th, 2010 07:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ah. This is an encouraging thought. Because I, too, have wondered why people have upon occasion called me insightful, when in regard to my own life I'm as blind as a bat; I feel anything but insightful, and I beat up on myself for being so stupid. But perhaps it is simply that I cannot be my own mirror.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 19th, 2010 04:45 am (UTC)
(Link)
But perhaps it is simply that I cannot be my own mirror.

I think this is exactly it, and that God made us that way so that we will not be able to exist alone. Which is, as you say, an encouraging thought--even when it's a bit scary. I *like* being independent....but one misses out on so much if that's where one tries to always live.
[User Picture]
From:aitchmark
Date:January 24th, 2010 04:00 am (UTC)
(Link)
After responding to your comment, I thought I'd check in to see how you're doing; I've been off LJ for some time.

This is a wise post. so in context of other conversation, I say accept the validation. Trust that God is speaking to you through those who know and love you.

I think they're spot on.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 24th, 2010 04:26 am (UTC)
(Link)
Thank you.

I'd rather have wisdom about myself than about others, right now, though.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com