?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

July 11th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
08:23 pm - Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest
...being a fluffy, positive review. :-)

Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man’s Chest

Points out of a possible ten!

Romp/Adventure Quotient: 10
Pirate-i-ness: 9
Character Arcs: 6
Plot Logic: 4 (who cares, though?)
The Pretty: 9
Special Effects: 10 (of course)
Humor: 8
Use of Legend: 5
Good Sequel Points: 6
Cap’t Jack Sparrow Goodness: 10

Total: 77

Rating: Damn fine movie for a sequel.



Romp/Adventure Quotient

Because this is basically the genre of the film and its reason for existence. Go expecting this, and you shall not be disappointed.

Pirate-i-ness

There’s nothing like a classic bit of pirating legend. And nothing in current pop culture is quite as dashing, as amoral, or as delightfully selfish as Capt. Jack Sparrow. If you like pirates, you must see this film.

Character Arcs

Enough to notice that there is a bit, but not a lot, and because this film is a blatant lead-in to the third film, most are unresolved. Oh well. That’s not what the film’s about, you know! :-)

Plot Logic:

Sketchy at points. Oddly, since I usually pick stuff apart and can list the plot holes for you as soon as you exit the theatre, I didn’t care one bit. I groaned at one or two points, but mostly I just let the movie sweep me along. The holes weren’t obvious enough to disturb my suspension of disbelief.

The Pretty

Johnny Depp = the awesome. As always. *drool*

Orlando Bloom: has grown up a bit since the first film! I used to think he was far too pretty-boy. Not this time. Mmmmm.

And I wanted to be Elizabeth, with the looking cool and sword-fighting and *spoilers*....

Special Effects

Like most sequels, DMC tries to outdo its predecessor in sheer spectacle. It sort of succeeds. :-)

Humor

Some lovely sly bits, as well as gross-outs (the boys’ll love it).

Use of Legend

I’m kind of “meh” about the reimagining of the legend of the Flying Dutchman, but it didn’t kill the film for me or anything.

Good Sequel Points

By this I mean that it did have a couple of issues unique to sequels: trying to be bigger and better went too far once or twice, and there were far too many first-movie injokes.

Cap’t Jack Sparrow Goodness

There can never be enough Cap’t Jack Sparrow. ‘Nuff said.


Current Mood: tiredtired

(7 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:fpb
Date:July 12th, 2006 06:56 am (UTC)
(Link)
You know, I have not seen this film, but I am beginning to get the impression that it works like a Rohrschach test. I have not seen a single review of it that agrees with any other - positive or negative; and I am coming to wonder whether there is something about it that makes people bring forth their own individualities in the guise of a review.

Of course, to understand it better, I should go and watch the movie...
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:July 12th, 2006 04:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I am coming to wonder whether there is something about it that makes people bring forth their own individualities in the guise of a review.

Well, to a certain extent, isn't that what people do anyway? But I see your point, and you're probably right. Reactions seem to vary based on what people were expecting, and there's actually more depth to this film that I really said in this review.

fernwithy posted a review last night that I wholeheartedly agree with, actually. I could've written that, if I hadn't been in such a silly mood. :-)
[User Picture]
From:reveilles
Date:July 12th, 2006 10:22 am (UTC)
(Link)
Under 'The Pretty', I'd *have* to put Norrington. Yummy looking all scruffy! :) ::giggles::
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:July 12th, 2006 04:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Too scruffy for my taste, though I do admit he's rather tasty. And I don't object to scruffiness; that was what redeemed Orlando from his pretty-boyness for me this time around.
[User Picture]
From:kalquessa
Date:July 12th, 2006 08:13 pm (UTC)
(Link)
So true! Who knew that he was hot under all that powder and ice-cream wig? Rowr.
[User Picture]
From:scionofgrace
Date:July 14th, 2006 01:52 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, no kidding. I saw a promo picture early on, and I'm like, "Norrington? When did he got hot?" His desperate-to-prove-myself bit made it even more interesting.
[User Picture]
From:kalquessa
Date:July 12th, 2006 08:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Plot Logic: 4 (who cares, though?)

Exactly. If called upon to outline to movie's main plot points, I....probably couldn't. Because there were too many of them, and there was less than perfect continuity. But I did not go into the theater looking for continuity. I went looking for attractive pirates, and this I found in good measure.

Also: word on the in-jokes. I mean, a few are good. "Hide the rum!" and the fact that Jack actually did get made chief as he bragged in the first film (see icon) were good. But they did start laying it on pretty thick after a while.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com