?

Log in

No account? Create an account
An FYI for people on my flist who have seen series 3 New Who - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

July 3rd, 2007


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
06:56 pm - An FYI for people on my flist who have seen series 3 New Who
Hi.

I'm an American. Series 3 hasn't even started airing here yet (not till Friday!). So, even though I've seen up through "Evolution of the Daleks," I am trying to remain unspoiled for the rest of the series.

It's one thing when rumors and a few icons slip through the cracks. I know little enough about...er...a certain person who shows up at the end of the series, that that rumor didn't bother me. And overall, people have been exceedingly good about lj-cutting spoilers for the finale.

Casting spoilers count, though. Even if you lj-cut the identity, if you say that a role is being cast or recast...that can be a plot spoiler. And I'm a little startled that I ran smack into this on my flist today.

Must I leave the internets entirely when I'm trying to avoid spoilers? I guess I'll just have to add this to my mild pessimism about global fandom. (*reminds self that it will be MUCH WORSE once HP Book 7 hits fandom*)

ETA: I hope this didn't come across too angry. I've just been very spoiler-wary this week. My flist is really quite awesome at keeping such things behind cuts. *blows kisses to you all*
Current Mood: frustratedfrustrated

(10 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:honorh
Date:July 4th, 2007 02:31 am (UTC)
(Link)
Just FYI, if you're seeing something about a new person coming on for S4? It means precisely nothing about people already there for S3. Hope that's nebulous enough for ya.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:July 4th, 2007 02:47 am (UTC)
(Link)
Really?

*sighs in relief*

Okay, I'm a little calmer than when I made this post, anyway, but thank you very much for the "not necessarily."
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:July 4th, 2007 03:33 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm sorry if I haven't been good with casting spoilers, I can't remember whether I have or not.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:July 4th, 2007 04:07 am (UTC)
(Link)
You've been fine, no worries.

I probably shouldn't have even brought this up, I just thought I'd been really, really spoiled for something specific. It's been pointed out to me that one fact does not necessarily mean what I thought it meant, and I've calmed down a bit.

It's just a show, after all. Albeit one I like very much. :-)
[User Picture]
From:feliciakw
Date:July 4th, 2007 11:48 am (UTC)
(Link)
**sticks fingers in ears** Lalalalalalala-I'mnotlisteningtoyou!-lalalalalalalalalala.

I, too, am an American. Happy Independence Day! (I'll make a proper post later, if I get the chance and profundity.)

I haven't even seen "Runaway Bride" yet, because I don't watch 'em on the 'puter. Though small flists are lonely, I suppose one of the advantages is that kerravonsen and lj user="scionofgrace"> are really good about cutting spoilers, so I only get enough to close my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears and scroll down (with my elbow, because my fingers are in my ears). And I think they're the only ones into stuff that I like that I haven't seen yet.

I plan on going nowhere near anything until I've read HP7. Thankfully, there's a fan at Geo's work who will put bounties on the heads of people who dare to spoil the book for anyone. (Wow, am I gonna need Mack and his right-hand Tech Geek? Mack "knows people who know people who hurt people," and Tech Geek has offered to "take people out" for me.)

Then there are the soundproof rooms in the audio preservation division for ranting and screaming . . . or rejoicing, who knows? . . . so that's good.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:July 5th, 2007 06:45 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Happy Independence Day! (a day late, but it's always a good thing to celebrate!)

For HP, I'm not only staying away from the internets, but from news media of any kind--remembering how newspapers spoiled the major death of Book 6 for many fans. Grrrrr.
[User Picture]
From:vertigozooropa
Date:July 4th, 2007 07:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think you're out of luck on the general stuff. You can't go three feet on the 'net without running into someone screaming, "I can't believe...." and then saying the thing that everyone's been saying.

But don't worry, because it doesn't affect the important specifics. Even the news stories only give the casting details, without relating them to the story. But, if you're going to wait the whole thirteen weeks, then you might be in trouble, because even the most spoiler-conscious are going to start slipping up, given enough time. But that's the same with anything.

It would help us to know what's already been spoiled for you, so we don't accidentally say anything more. I'm assuming more has been spoiled since you last posted (not by me, I hope), because I've found many mentions of things since then.

[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:July 6th, 2007 12:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
Even the news stories only give the casting details, without relating them to the story

Except in a few instances, like two years ago, when Half-Blood Prince came out, and in a couple of days there were newspapers headlining what had happened to a certain Headmaster (and who had done the awful deed). *eyeroll* Of course, HP is a weird case, really.

I actually have a very conscientious group of people on my LJ flist--they're extremely good about being vague and then LJ-cutting the spoilers. I appreciate that a lot, being so behind-hand at least about Doctor Who. honorh assures me that the spoiler I got worked up about may not mean what I thought it meant, which is good. I'm just trying to skip everything that says "Doctor Who" on it anywhere, at this point. :-)
[User Picture]
From:scionofgrace
Date:July 6th, 2007 01:48 am (UTC)
(Link)
::rushes to check own journal to make sure it wasn't me::

I totally understand about spoilers. I like hearing whether people liked an episode or not, but if there's a twist, I like to be surprised. Sorry you got spoiled.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:July 6th, 2007 05:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Pretteh icon. :-)

It's okay--I didn't get massively spoiled, I just thought I did. Heh. And no, you're very good about lj-cutting stuff.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com