April 14th, 2008
|01:47 pm - Random things from my life|
(because I'm not focused enough to write anything else)
1. Bloody hell, people! Stop leaving my shows! Yes, CSI is still one of the shows I look forward to each week. And this is the second cast departure for this year! Bah. Between Diane Farr's upcoming loss from Numb3rs and this, I'm too depressed to throw a temper tantrum.
I suppose I should be glad it's not Eric Szmanda.
2. I'm having no time to write at all, because I'm spending all that time hunting for potential jobs and trying to rewrite resumes and cover letters for likely ones. Like I wasn't depressed enough already; not writing is a guaranteed way to make myself feel like crap. Must find a way to solve this problem.
3. I spent part of yesterday questioning why I live in L.A. The heat turns my brain right off! Honestly, it's not fun trying to think while sitting in the toasty upstairs room that is my sort-of office, while it's 90F outside and very close to that indoors, with no central air. *dies*
4. I'm going to be writing a lengthy essay about the nature of friendship (with discussion and examples featuring fandom in several ways). I don't know when I'll get it finished, but watch this space.
5. I have been absolutely craving salmon for the past few weeks. No clue why. I'm starting to think I should look it up to see if it indicates a deficiency of some sort. *g*
6. As I told kalquessa: My brain has taken revenge on me for listening to "Carry On, My Wayward Son" (by Kansas) nonstop for about 3 weeks. It has decided that I need to someday write a scene in a movie script or tv script in which a woman sings at least part of this song to her baby or very young child. The lullaby version, basically. For some reason I find this endlessly appealing.
7. remixthedrabble's new round of fics has gone up! I can't tell you which I wrote, yet, but someone remixed one of my fics awesomely: Firefly: Bright and Shiny Objects (The Snips and Snails Remix).
That is all for now!
Current Mood: okay
Must find a way to solve this problem.
Drabbles? Random requests from your flist? Lightning fic?
I don't know when I'll get it finished, but watch this space.
Cool! I'm looking forward to it.
Drabbles? Random requests from your flist? Lightning fic?
*g* I'm not sure cultivating more plot bunnies will help much; but maybe I should try to write on my lunch break or something.
Lightning fic could help. See here
That's...actually a really good idea. Thank you! I'll have to see about trying to do that this week.
1. *GASP!!!* Oh, I so did not need to know that.
Well, actually, I did, because if I didn't prepare myself for it, I don't know how I would have handled it.
Re: his replacement . . . I know exactly who I'd like to see on the show, but he's got a gig up in Vancouver right now, and he hopefully will not be released from said gig for quite some time (at least 2 more seasons).
2. Re: writing . . . um . . . would a quickie request help? I'm sure I could come up with something . . . Oh! I know! What about that Blair drabble you had going way back when? Pull that out, brush it off, and post it?
3. Note to self . . . send Izhi A/C. Does the room have a window? Or would you need one of those portable things on wheels? (Just pondering here, and you'd be on your own for the electric bill . . . )
4. Looking forward to the essay. For myself, I've been pondering why SPN has shang-hied my brain so thoroughly. I mean aside from the pretty boys with amazing acting talents.
5. Re: salmon . . . um . . . can't help ya there. Though I had my first taste of oyster today. It was . . . okay . . .
6. Next time we three get together, we should practice our own girly ballad rendition of the song.
Then laugh ourselves silly.
7. Will go read.
As you were. Carry on.
4. I think we covered this Friday, no? Pretty boys, pretty car, pretty shiny firearms and pointy objects. Amazing cinematography. Kick. Ass. Music. Family angst of DOOM.
6. For the record, I am on board with this plan.
Pretty boys - check.
Cool car - check. (Which amuses me, because when they were new? Not so cool. And I'm amazed that it's 41 years old. Dean must run some pretty good hustles to keep his baby in gas.)
Awesome arsenal in sooper sekrit hidden compartment - check.
Amazing cinematography - check.
Rockin' (and for me, in many ways nostalgic) soundtrack - check.
Family angst of DOOM - check.
But it's more than all of that. Really fun premise - take American urban legends, and give 'em a twist. (Same reason I got a kick out of Herc: The Legendary Journeys.) AWESOME writing . . . and characters, and acting, and . . . and . . .
But see, the thing is . . . you can find a lot of that stuff elsewhere, too, yes? I mean, medical dramas are riddled with angst, yes? With cute doctors and snarky banter?
It's gotta be more than that, at least for me. It seems that of late (and I couldn't really determine how far back this goes . . . waaay back, I think) I'm drawn to shows where the protagonists fight evil (whether of the criminal or the supernatural variety). And the more unusual their methods, the better I like it. Cute guys in the leading roles, admittedly, doesn't hurt.
And I could go into a long, drawn out pondering about we as humans knowing instinctually that we need to be rescued. Even the rescuers need to be rescued from something. Which is all really more metaphysical (and probably theological) then I want to get right now.
I've also been pondering why I relate so strongly with Dean, and the answers I'm coming up with are really strange, considering that there's no reason, given my upbringing, why I should feel that way.
So, yes. Pretty boys, cool car, awesome arsenal, amazing cinematography, oh-so-rockin' soundtrack, angst from here to next month.
That should cover it.
*GASP!!!* Oh, I so did not need to know that.
Yeah, that was kind of a nasty shock when I went to look up episode info on TVGuide.com.
Re: writing . . . um . . . would a quickie request help? I'm sure I could come up with something . . . Oh! I know! What about that Blair drabble you had going way back when? Pull that out, brush it off, and post it?
I'm afraid to post that thing! The fandom doesn't like such fics. *g*
Note to self . . . send Izhi A/C. Does the room have a window?
Room has 2 windows, but I'm hesitant to block even one of them with an AC unit. Especially since I only have 2 outlets in the room.
Next time we three get together, we should practice our own girly ballad rendition of the song.
YES PLZ! :-)
Maybe your brain is saying you should move to Alaska. Won't have quite as many heat issues there. Think about it.
I have at least 2 flisters who live up there. I'll think about it. *g*
You live in L.A. so we could become friends. And so I could steal your citrus. And because it's awesome.
Awww. :-) All true! And I need to get you a lemon tree cutting, don't I?
Suggestion: write for five minutes. You can spare five minutes. And it's astonishing what you can accomplish in five minutes, if you just go for really rough draft and don't self-edit. If you do it before you work on the job-hunting, perhaps it will cheer you up. Alternatively, you could promise yourself five or ten minutes of fic writing after each cover letter you send out.
Alternatively, you could promise yourself five or ten minutes of fic writing after each cover letter you send out.
Hmmm. Hmmhmmhmm. That's not a bad idea at all. I shall have to give that a try and see if I can pull it off.