?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Passing on interview meme - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

May 25th, 2005


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
01:43 pm - Passing on interview meme
1. Leave me a comment saying, 'Interview me'.
2. I will respond by asking you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. Update your LJ with the answers to the questions.
4. Include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.


kerravonsen asked me these questions:



1. What fictional character is most like you?

Oh, lordy, this is hard. As a child, it was Anne Shirley; in high school, it was Jo March; in university, it was Samwise Gamgee. You know what, I think I'll go with Remus Lupin again--intelligent, loving but not quite believing that people might really love him, a loyal friend, responsible to a fault, the kind of strength that comes from personal perseverance but doesn't have much room for accepting help from others, doesn't really have a place to belong.

2. What's your favourite fairy tale/fable?

The Little Mermaid. Because real love acts to benefit the loved one no matter the cost to the one who loves. And that kind of love, agape, is the real sign of an immortal soul.

3. What do you say when people start discussing evolution?

If I don't want to argue about it, I usually say, "As long as God made the universe, I don't care if he did it in seven days or seven hundred million years."

If I feel like joining the discussion, I generally take the position that while the facts we have may point to creation over evolution (and certainly, I can't imagine this universe existing without a designer behind it), we cannot prove either way and will likely never be able to. It's all a matter of belief, no matter what people tell themselves.

4. Seen any famous people while wandering around LA?

Um. A few, yes, though I'm terrible at recognizing incognito actors. Janel Maloney (Donna Moss, The West Wing), came into a store I was working at last year. At the same store, I sold a scarf to Jeff Bridges (at least I think it was him).

5. Favourite thing to do while on holiday?

Absolute favorite? Um. I do love it if I have a new book to read, or I can find a new cafe or something to sit and write in...but most favorite would probably be to do some kind of mini-road trip. I love to just drive and drive, preferably through pretty countryside or with a friend or two along, but even alone with just music (or a book on CD) and my thoughts for company, the feeling of escape, of freedom, of adventure is fantastic.


Current Mood: mischievousmischievous

(4 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:May 26th, 2005 06:33 am (UTC)
(Link)
The Little Mermaid. Because real love acts to benefit the loved one no matter the cost to the one who loves. And that kind of love, agape, is the real sign of an immortal soul.

I hadn't ever put "The Little Mermaid" in that category. But then there's too many versions...

My favourite is "The Seven Swans" for the same kind of reason -- that the sister was faithful to the task of saving her brothers, even though she suffered for it, in silence.

I love to just drive and drive, preferably through pretty countryside

Aha! Come to Victoria, which used to be called the "Garden State" (until we got a Liberal government, who decided to change the slogan to "Victoria: on the move", at which the wits all said "yes, they all moved to Queensland")

Not that you will. Australia is too far away from everybody. Except New Zealand, in which case Australia is too close and nobody bothers.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:May 26th, 2005 08:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I hadn't ever put "The Little Mermaid" in that category. But then there's too many versions...

Well, I'm talking about the version I had in my large fairy-tale collection, a direct translation from the original Hans Christian Andersen story. I tend to gripe about most retellings, because they focus on the romance only, instead of what the mermaid's quest really was (to gain an immortal soul), and how she rejects both that hope and the hope of living the rest of her mermaid 300 years in order to save the man she still loves. And what happens to her after that (minus the moralistic bits).

It's so powerful. Actually, since I think the story is public domain now, I really want to write my own version of it, novel-length, the way Robin McKinley did for Beauty.

Aha! Come to Victoria, which used to be called the "Garden State"

I wish I did have the money to travel. I am planning a visit to the UK someday (sheer historical/literary fun), but I could easily be persuaded to come to Australia as well/instead. I've heard so much about it. And I have LJ/online friends over there, too. :-)
From:(Anonymous)
Date:May 26th, 2005 06:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
3. What do you say when people start discussing evolution?

This is shamelessly stolen from Bloom County, but there are some moments when scientists, despite their better judgement, have to jump in the air and scream "The universe is just a little too darn ORDERLY to be a big accident!"
From:(Anonymous)
Date:May 26th, 2005 08:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Doggone it, that was me.

-JD
Needs to remember to sign his posts

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com