?

Log in

No account? Create an account
More Pretender - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

January 13th, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
09:21 am - More Pretender
All right, a couple more episodes under my belt, now.

I think I may have seen this one back when:

"Every Picture Tells A Story"

--I remember Jarod painting that picture of Miss Parker.

--Speaking of whom, I don't always enjoy watching hard-core female characters, but assuming we get more peeks beneath her icy exterior, I may end up being quite intrigued by her. It is deeply interesting to me that she was at the Centre but seems to have gone the opposite route from Jarod, despite things like the unexplained shooting of her mother. O_o

--Hey, a computer nerd! I like Broots already. I also get a kick out of Jarod's Very Complex Workarounds.

--Of course Jarod would equate the rites of the church (especially confession) with seeking release from guilt, and of course he would see that as useless/irresponsible compared to his own way of dealing with similar things.

--Wow, Jarod, you're awfully fit to be swimming that far. Not that I mind seeing you wet and sans shirt. *g*

--I liked the plot okay in this one, but I do have to say that eventually the A-plots may start to get old. Jarod himself is the most interesting thing about this show, followed closely by the cat-and-mouse of the Centre's chase after him.



"Flyer"

--Aw, Jarod loves flying! Of course he would.

--Sydney, you total softie. Not letting on to Miss Parker that you're talking to Jarod? Wow, you care way more for Jarod than for the Centre's interests, don't you?

--Favorite guest character so far: the old conspiracy buff, carrying his own weight of guilt, and someone Jarod can actually warn about the Centre (and be believed). I wonder if that comes into play at any point? No, don't tell me, if it does I shall be pleasantly surprised.

--I love that Jarod left paper airplanes for the son of the dead man.

--I'm scared, though, by Jarod's casual radio-announcer game, played in the air with the murderer...and once that's over with, he just goes on enjoying flying, as if he's done nothing that will stick to him at all. Eeeeep.

--Raines is faintly creepy on his own, but I was taken aback by Miss Parker's reaction to him: we've seen her show anger, pain, frustration, but not fear. Not till now. She's terrified of this guy. Which terrifies me, frankly.

(9 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:eldritchhobbit
Date:January 13th, 2009 05:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I love Sydney!
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 13th, 2009 10:25 pm (UTC)
(Link)
He's getting more interesting; Jarod is staying my favorite for now.
[User Picture]
From:eldritchhobbit
Date:January 13th, 2009 10:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I like them all, I really do (I took instantly to Broots, but it took much longer for Miss Parker, and what's not to like about Jarod?), but I find his relationships - with Jarod, with Miss Parker, even with Broots - to be especially fascinating, as is his own story. And my very favorite episode... well, I won't go there yet. ;)
[User Picture]
From:eldritchhobbit
Date:January 13th, 2009 10:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
PS The A-plots do get old. But, as I recall, the B-plots and arc stories take on more and more significance as time goes on, so the episodes reach a better balance, I think. YMMV.
[User Picture]
From:redstarrobot
Date:February 16th, 2009 03:30 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And I love your icon!
[User Picture]
From:astrogirl2
Date:January 13th, 2009 10:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
but assuming we get more peeks beneath her icy exterior, I may end up being quite intrigued by her.

I strongly suspect that this will happen. :) You know, it's interesting. Most people I've discussed it with seem to have taken to her instantly, but it took me several episodes to truly see her appeal. I like characters with layers, and hers aren't necessarily immediately obvious, but they're definitely there.

Hey, a computer nerd! I like Broots already.

Broots! Broots is awesome. *hugs Broots*

Of course Jarod would equate the rites of the church (especially confession) with seeking release from guilt, and of course he would see that as useless/irresponsible compared to his own way of dealing with similar things.

Yeah, Jarod is big on absolution by doing, I think.

Wow, Jarod, you're awfully fit to be swimming that far.

He is in ridiculously good shape for a man who eats that much junk food. It's disgusting. :)

I liked the plot okay in this one, but I do have to say that eventually the A-plots may start to get old.

They are very, very formulaic, especially in early S1, but they do at least start shaking them up a bit eventually. In fact, I think they started doing that right about the point where I first declared that I was seriously getting tired of them. :)

Wow, you care way more for Jarod than for the Centre's interests, don't you?

Yes. Sydney's balancing a lot of conflicting issues and agendas, but... yes. Awww.

I'm scared, though, by Jarod's casual radio-announcer game, played in the air with the murderer...and once that's over with, he just goes on enjoying flying, as if he's done nothing that will stick to him at all. Eeeeep.

Jarod's little punishment games really are freaking creepy. Sometimes it's easy to forget that, but I never can for very long. I quite like that, personally, as there's a real complexity there that's not necessarily immediately obvious. Jarod's a sweet, good-hearted guy who doubtless is helping more than he's hurting, but in many ways he's seriously messed-up. His sense of morality and justice and what it's acceptable to do to people are very much shaped by his upbringing and his past.

Raines is faintly creepy on his own,

Gah, Raines! *shudder* Everything about that guy is creepy. :)
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 13th, 2009 10:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Most people I've discussed it with seem to have taken to her instantly, but it took me several episodes to truly see her appeal.

I guess I'm in your camp, then. :-) Sydney (and Broots) are far more sympathetic characters, death of Mrs. Parker notwithstanding. We shall see.

Yeah, Jarod is big on absolution by doing, I think.

Precisely. Even if someone tried to explain the concept of "grace" to him, right now, I don't think he'd understand it. Not sure he'd grasp "forgiveness," either, although I haven't yet seen him in a situation where he has to grapple with that, so.

Re: the A-plots: I think I may have some trouble because I was a Quantum Leap fan, and because many of my fandoms are cop dramas or procedurals (whether paranormal, medical, law, or military)--there's going to be a sense of overlap in many areas.

Jarod's games, while they are as you say creepy, I think I could live with. It's the fact that his attitude in meting out the punishment is so gleeful and undisturbed that gets to me. Yes, he really is rather messed up.
[User Picture]
From:astrogirl2
Date:January 13th, 2009 10:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I guess I'm in your camp, then. :-)

It's kind of nice to know someone is. :) I did come to like her a lot eventually, though.

I think I may have some trouble because I was a Quantum Leap fan,

So was I, back when. :)

Not sure he'd grasp "forgiveness," either, although I haven't yet seen him in a situation where he has to grapple with that, so.

I think that's an interesting question. Hmm. I may actually have some thoughts on that, but we can discuss them when you get to the end of the season. :)

It's the fact that his attitude in meting out the punishment is so gleeful and undisturbed that gets to me.

The fact that it's so gleeful, IMO, is a large part of what makes it creepy.
[User Picture]
From:lizamanynames
Date:January 15th, 2009 01:33 am (UTC)
(Link)
--Raines is faintly creepy on his own, but I was taken aback by Miss Parker's reaction to him: we've seen her show anger, pain, frustration, but not fear. Not till now. She's terrified of this guy. Which terrifies me, frankly

It should. Wait till you meet his "pet project"....

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com