?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Mini-rant - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

January 19th, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
01:41 pm - Mini-rant
I am more than a little displeased to see how many people are taking time this weekend (and this day, set aside to celebrate a great man!) to whine about President Bush.

He's leaving office tomorrow.

Have some class. Please, people.
Current Mood: annoyedannoyed

(15 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:mosinging1986
Date:January 19th, 2009 10:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Class? Regarding President Bush? Mwahahahaha!

On a serious note, that's why I said the other day that I wonder where all this hatred will go. I think it's foolish to assume that this level of hatred is going to just evaporate overnight, regardless of a new person in the office. I think it has to be redirected *somewhere*.
[User Picture]
From:persephone_kore
Date:January 19th, 2009 10:12 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Presumably at the rest of us.
[User Picture]
From:mosinging1986
Date:January 19th, 2009 10:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
This is my fear as well, though I am enough of an optomist to hope it does not end up that way.

But we did see the beginnings of it during the election. The disgust that people have for conservatives came out into the open and was more socially acceptable, in a way that we really had not seen before.

To be honest, I rather prefer it that way. If people hate my guts I want to know. I don't need people pretending to be my friend when inside they cannot stand me and my views.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 20th, 2009 03:06 am (UTC)
(Link)
The disgust that people have for conservatives came out into the open and was more socially acceptable, in a way that we really had not seen before.

Really? I expect my perspective is skewed, since I am a centrist/moderate conservative living in Los Angeles, but it's always been like that in my experience.

Not saying you don't have a point about the anger; I'm really just hoping that conservatives can channel their *own* anger--I read some stuff after the election that scared me spitless.
[User Picture]
From:mosinging1986
Date:January 20th, 2009 03:14 am (UTC)
(Link)
There's a huge difference between being angry over things that never happened: Bush stealing the election, going to war for oil, etc. and being angry over reality: the media's campaign for Obama, Obama himself with his views/policies, etc.

I'm not saying it's good for either side to off the deep end and start behaving like lunatics. But there's a huge difference going on here. I'm not sure why people are beginning to lump it together as though it was the same situation we saw in 2004, only now in reverse. It is most definitely not.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 20th, 2009 03:31 am (UTC)
(Link)
I...wasn't talking about that, actually.

Except the "going off the deep end" part, because I'm really worried that this partisan split (which is crippling this country, imho) may eventually lead to something entirely regrettable.
[User Picture]
From:mosinging1986
Date:January 20th, 2009 03:53 am (UTC)
(Link)
I guess I'm misunderstanding you then. Sorry.
[User Picture]
From:kalquessa
Date:January 19th, 2009 10:13 pm (UTC)
(Link)
You know that song "I'd like to buy the world a Coke"? From the commercial? I'd like to buy the world a chill pill. Or at least a cup of something very calming. And maybe a copy of "March of the Penguins" to keep everyone occupied with how cute the baby penguins are so they have less time to be annoying. Yes. This is a flawless plan.

(Edited because I CANNOT type today OMG.)

Edited at 2009-01-19 10:13 pm (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:fpb
Date:January 19th, 2009 10:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
CLASS?? those creatures? Mind you, this is not about President Obama. But the last few months of campaign, especially after Sarah Palin was brought in as VP candidate, have been the most debasing, repulsive and outrageous time I have ever in my whole life experienced - and I am 46 and have seen a lot of nasty things. The really loathsome way in which the victorious party went after Palin was like touching pitch; you could not help but be soiled - at least, that is what I felt. That is why I simply cannot take part in the worldwide celebrations over America's first black President; because of the way it has been won, and the people who took part in it. That is not, I repeat, about President Obama, to whom anyone who is not a moron must wish success, and who seems a thoughtful and classy individual; it is, however, about the hideous crowd that gathered on the edges of his campaign. The sheer bloody-eyed hatred, the brutish prejudice, the vulgarity, the lies, the self-indulgent self-righteousness, have made me sick to my soul. And to anyone who says that any of this was necessary, I will answer: oh no it was not. It was actually counter-productive; from the moment Palin was chosen, McCain's ratings started to move up. Yes, in spite of all the hatred, all the lies, all the brutishness. What killed McCain was not Palin, but his bewildered and incompetent reaction to the rising wave of economic crisis, from the Lehmann Brothers catastrophe on. I think that if you review all the polls, they will confirm what I say. And even so, McCain-Palin still polled more than any Republican candidate had a right to expect; if the party leadership had managed to squeeze their man Romney through, they would have been lucky to get 30% of the popular vote. I am saying this to point out just how useless has been the repulsive Palin-baiting that was the most prominent feature of the campaign almost to the end. In spite of all the hatred promoted and eagerly embraced by media and left bloggers, the American people chose, in the end, the candidate who looked more likely to deal sensibly with the emergency at hand - which was the economy. Without the Lehmann Brothers collapse, McCain might have won, and at any rate would not have been brought down by the yelling hordes. Now the issue is that these same human obscenities will feel themselves validated and encouraged by Obama's success. Their way of doing things will become even more prevalent. And next time we can look forward to some real violence, if anyone ever threatens to upset whatever applecart they have attached themselves to.
[User Picture]
From:lizamanynames
Date:January 20th, 2009 02:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
I havn't biched about him in months, ever since he was voted out.

I will confess to to occasionally grinning smugly when the subject come up, tho.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 20th, 2009 03:08 am (UTC)
(Link)
I havn't biched about him in months

LOL! But we already knew you were classy. :)
[User Picture]
From:lizamanynames
Date:January 22nd, 2009 10:57 am (UTC)
(Link)
*belches, scratches butt*

Why, then-kyu, m'dear! XD
[User Picture]
From:sarcasticval
Date:January 20th, 2009 03:37 am (UTC)
(Link)
It occurred to me today that I really want nothing more than to jump up and down whilst screaming NEEINER NEEINER NEEINER. I mean, I won't, because that would be lame and all, but the feeling is still there ;) (Oh, cut me some slack, this is the first time my side's ever won during my voting career)

On the one hand I understand where you're coming from, but however you feel about the man, when isn't a more apt time to discuss his presidency then at the end of it? Although I suspect "discuss" is probably a loose definition of what's going on. Eh, it happens every time a leader leaves office, and like him or hate him President Bush definitely invokes some strong emotions in people.

Sarah, I don't *want* to have class!!! I want to burn effigies and run rampant through the streets causing wanton destruction all in the name of CHANGE.

...I'm sorry. I've been drinking.


Please take this in the light-hearted spirit in which it is meant ;)

Edited at 2009-01-20 03:40 am (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:January 20th, 2009 03:56 am (UTC)
(Link)
So taken. *g*

Otoh, I do think people should comport themselves as adults when discussing things like politics, where the childish tendency to revert to "I am right and you are wrong, QED!" is ridiculously prevalent.

If one actually *needs* to be more proactive than that, well, Martin Luther King Jr. did it right, imho. :-)
[User Picture]
From:sarcasticval
Date:January 20th, 2009 04:02 am (UTC)
(Link)
Do you like how I totally answered all of my own questions in my own post? *headdesk*

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com