?

Log in

No account? Create an account
This is pure selfish annoyance - Light One Candle

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Other Places My Fics Are Archived
FanFiction.Net
The CalSci Library (A Numb3rs Gen Archive)
The Invisible Man Virtual Seasons
The Sugar Quill

June 17th, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
06:24 pm - This is pure selfish annoyance

For all the talk about Dreamwidth probably not being that big a deal in my sections of fandom, I'm already seeing flisters who are moving almost exclusively over there (i.e., they are crossposting but have turned off LJ comments or similar).

I've been pondering a minor trim of the flist anyway, and this is making me seriously consider wholesale defriending anyone who's moved or is planning to move to Dreamwidth to that extent. Because it's starting to seriously annoy me (and scare me, I think, though I haven't had "my family abandons me" dreams the way I did when everyone was threatening to move off LJ after Strikethrough).

I just don't have time to keep up with a move like this. Flat out.

I'm sure this post sounds like I've been brooding over this. I haven't, oddly; but every time I check my flist I'm reminded. *shrug*


Current Mood: annoyedannoyed

(18 lit candles | Light a candle)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:ladybrick
Date:June 18th, 2009 02:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
I think I set up a Dreamwidth account just to have? I forget the username already ^^;
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:June 18th, 2009 03:59 am (UTC)
(Link)
Heh. Yeah, I think that's what would happen if I set one up. *g*
[User Picture]
From:jhall1
Date:June 18th, 2009 09:14 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm pretty much in the same boat.
[User Picture]
From:kerravonsen
Date:June 18th, 2009 02:31 am (UTC)
(Link)
{hugs}
I am not abandoning you!
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:June 18th, 2009 04:00 am (UTC)
(Link)
I know, you're still here! And so are lots of other people. *hugs*
[User Picture]
From:scionofgrace
Date:June 18th, 2009 02:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, I'm staying put. It's just too much work to switch. Maybe someday some genius programmer will write up a way to aggregate all networking/blogging sites, but, alas, not yet.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:June 18th, 2009 04:00 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yes, this. :) And it's definitely nice that it's not just a mass exodus, yet. We'll see what I do if/when it becomes one....
[User Picture]
From:kalquessa
Date:June 18th, 2009 07:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
That's pretty much what I'm waiting for. I'd like to have a Dreamwidth eventually just as a back-up of the LJ in case LJ goes poof one day, or something. But I'm waiting for smart people to figure out work-arounds for all the annoying parts of the mirroring process, first. *grin*
[User Picture]
From:mistraltoes
Date:June 18th, 2009 02:52 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm entirely ambivalent about DW. I really like their diversity statement, but I *so do not* want to move. OTOH if everybody else goes, what can you do? But I'll still be here as long as you're not there. ;-)

And no, I have not forgotten your beta. All the notes have been finished for a while, and I'm struggling with making my thoughts coherent on paper. Honestly, if I had long distance on my phone I'd just call you. But anyway, you should have it this weekend. Also, B7 DVDs next week.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:June 18th, 2009 04:04 am (UTC)
(Link)
But I'll still be here as long as you're not there.

Awwww. :)

(Wow, I like that Snape icon; I don't recall if I've seen it before.)

B7? Really? \o/ I actually have been saving up an ep or so from the last disc you sent me, and was considering watching it tonight as a possible reward for doing work or writing. And you say there will be MORE! YAY!

And I was considering asking you about the beta, but you awesome beat me to it. Sorry you're having a tough time making it all coherent on paper; I know how that is, with beta thoughts. Perhaps we should try to figure out a way to chat on the phone at some point (we are in the same country and time zone, not that that means anything to the phone companies). Thank you, thank you! I shall look forward to your notes.
[User Picture]
From:tree_and_leaf
Date:June 18th, 2009 07:50 am (UTC)
(Link)
You can comment with open id and your LJ user name over there. As you almost certainly know, but I thought I'd mention it in case...

I actually like DW better as an interface, but virtually all of my friends are still chiefly commenting and interacting here. So I'm staying here.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:June 18th, 2009 11:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I know, it's just such a pain to use OpenID--on LJ I'm always logged in and can just chat. (I actually avoid a lot of other blogs because of this, too, which is probably kind of cliqueish of me, or lazy. *g*)

What's better about it as an interface? The few times I've been on DW journals, it seemed like a slightly uglier copy of LJ...
[User Picture]
From:mosinging1986
Date:June 18th, 2009 03:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I've got one, just because. But they don't have as many icon spaces!

Besides, there's only about 3 people reading my LJ regularly anymore anyway. Not sure what the point would be in getting another one. Once I get a job again, it might be time to move on.

Of course, the way it's going, I'm never working again. I'm pretty much convinced of that at this point. I'm all out of hope at this point.

Whatever.
[User Picture]
From:leelust
Date:June 18th, 2009 04:25 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hear you. I have an account there to save lj stuff abd still didn't find out how to do that. And i have no time to check people there. *sigh* But i think i cling to lj-land.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:June 18th, 2009 11:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
*clings to LJ-land with you*
[User Picture]
From:dejla
Date:June 18th, 2009 07:56 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm experimenting, but I haven't made any real move yet; I'm still here.
[User Picture]
From:dunv_i
Date:June 19th, 2009 04:51 am (UTC)
(Link)
I probably don't actually have any place commenting on this, but I'm sort of saddened by the idea of striking off people who are asking others to comment in a certain place that happens to not be where you are.

But then again, most people don't seem to syndicate as many external blogs as I do.

If it helps as something to think about, it's seriously easy for someone reading from DW to read friends who are solely on LJ still. I'm in the process of doing that - moving my reading list to DW, and reading LJ people through syndications - because for me DW was a logical switch (many, many reasons to prefer to be on DW for me). I'm sure I can't be the only one who found DW a logical switch, and to defriend them over it, while I understand your view, I just can't agree with it.

If you do do an flist cut, please feel free to defriend me. I know that I tend to just spam flists with my entirely useless thoughts where I freak out about random stuff. Whatever you do though, I will continue to read your posts, whether through LJ or DW, because I do like reading your point of view in your posts.
[User Picture]
From:izhilzha
Date:June 19th, 2009 07:57 am (UTC)
(Link)
Defriending, on my LJ, almost never means "punishment" (I've only had to do that once, because someone was causing a disturbance and refused to stop when I asked him to). It's merely a method of keeping my friendslist to a manageable size--rather like the way I'm careful who I friend (if I find myself going back to someone's LJ, or we connected over something in another journal, or they friended me and their posts look awesome) in the first place.

Same reasoning applies to the fact that 1) I don't syndicate many blogs (there are a few I do), because it's annoying to have to keep track and sign in on so many different sites, and 2) I find the idea of the move to Dreamwidth problematic for similar reasons. I have a fairly busy life offline, and handling LJ and FaceBook (and Twitter now, for a job I just took) is more than is probably good for me anyway.

If it were just journals that I read, it might be different; but I do think of LJ as a true social network, and it's like people are moving from my town to the other end of the state, you know? I can keep in touch but I have to call long-distance, to use a rather clumsy metaphor.

Anyway, just some thoughts. :)

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com