June 23rd, 2009
|10:47 am - Gen Meme|
Stolen from yahtzee63:
List 10 platonic male/female relationships in fiction that you enjoy. Rules:
1. They interact in canon, preferably in a significant (apply your own interpretation of such) way.
2. They are not related. They can, however, view each other as surrogate family.
3. Neither has confessed or implied romantic love for the other in canon.
4. They have not dated, been married, had sex, or made out in canon, on purpose, and of their own free will.
5. A popular fanon ship is ok (though preferably not your ship) but a canon pairing you wish were just friends is out.
6. Try to avoid using the same character or series twice.
This'll be fun, since my favorite friendships are usually same-gender, and male/female platonic relationships are more rare in fiction (and the rules block at least two of my choices--Mulder & Scully, Xander & Willow). But here goes!
1. Megan Reeves and Colby Granger (Numb3rs)
2. Samantha Carter and Teal'c (Stargate)
3. Sydney Bristow and Dixon (Alias)
4. Mal and Zoe (Firefly)
5. Nick Stokes and Sara Sidle (CSI)
6. Temperance Brennan and Jack Hodgins (Bones)
7. Allison DuBois and Det. Lee Scanlon (Medium)
8. Harry Potter and Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)
9. Beau Felton and Kay Howard (Homicide: Life on the Street)
10. The Doctor and Donna Noble (Doctor Who)
|Date:||June 23rd, 2009 07:55 pm (UTC)|| |
I'm only really familiar with numbers 8 and 10, which are both excellent picks. If the rules allowed it, I could probably pick ten examples from "Doctor Who" alone. :)
I'm not familiar with most of those shows, so a quick question: are any of those friendships situations where neither--or only one--has an in-show love interest?
Interesting question. For some it depends on where in the show we're talking about.
1. Megan has a love interest, but Colby does not (so far).
5. Nick has one or two mild love interests (one-episode things), but otherwise nothing, while Sara has an unrequited crush on her boss Grissom.
9. Beau Felton is married and then having an affair with another co-worker; Kay isn't with anyone at that time, not that I recall anyway. (They have this classic conversation at one point where Kay asks Beau if he sees her as a woman; he's flustered, responding with a tone of "this is obvious": but you're my partner! you're a cop! It's adorable, because she's definitely a woman, but that has clearly never been an issue for him.)
10. The first time they meet Donna is about to get married (and there's that weirdness in the Library), but overall their time together sees neither of Donna nor the Doctor with any love interest.
8 and 10 are both great. Especially 10. (must admit I haven't seen any of the others...)
Aw, Sam & Teal'c! Though I did hear that the reason they hold hands during the many years on the ship in "Unending" is because they're in a relationship. But yes. They're such unlikely friends on the surface, but their friendship is cute!
Mal and Zoe just fascinate me. Whedon wrote the "comrades in arms" thing so well with them.
Do you watch any classic Doctor Who? I'm fond of Four and Sarah Jane, or Two and Jamie. Also, any Doctor and the Brigadier (but most notably Three). DW has had some outstanding platonic friendships over the years.
Sam & Teal'c! Though I did hear that the reason they hold hands during the many years on the ship in "Unending" is because they're in a relationship.
But it's not stated or *clearly* implied, so they still totally count. *g* (Even if I think the idea of them in a relationship during "Unending" is kind of awesome. And that Teal'c, of course, remembers this.)
One of my favorite scenes in Firefly is the bit at the end of "War Games," where Mal announces to Zoe that they have to sleep together (per Wash's instructions), and they try to kiss, and it's really awkward, and... hee.
I've watched some classic Who, but not a lot yet. There's more coming up. :) Right now Donna and the Doctor still reign supreme in terms of relationship but I like Sarah Jane, so we shall see what comes of that later.
Darien Fawkes/Claire "Keeply".
And because of Rule #4
I'm not counting the QSM-inspired makeout session on the docks. *shakes head with grin*
Dude, I *almost* put Clarie and Darien in there. Because I totally see them as an interesting and slightly weird platonic friendship. But I've also been contaminated by the general fandom view of them as a potential 'ship.... :) (They totally count, though, as you say--QSM is not of their own free will, so. And when Darien was Kevin, he wasn't Darien, even if that was a really sexy moment.)
Exactly. Even though there are others who ship them, the canon throughout the show has always been of an equal brotherly/sisterly relationship. And with I-Man I just couldn't go beyond the canon, interestingly enough. (Except for the possibility of Kevin/Arnaud... dunno, it just makes Arnie's betrayal that much more rending)
Darien teases Claire and gives her a hard time, she uses the large bore needles when giving his shots. *snicker*
Well, you probably know that while the Megan&Colby friendship rocks (actually, the Megan&any guy on her team), for me it's about the Don&Megan. I wrote fic to prove it. :-)
I could only have one N3 relationship, though, so I went back and forth between Megan & Don, Megan & David, Larry & Amita, and Megan & Colby to find the one I liked best. :)