April 24th, 2011
A fannish meme! Because it's been a while. Stolen from sallymn and lizbee:
Give me a character's name from a fandom I know, and I will say:
1. How I FEEL about this character (honestly)
2. All the people I ship romantically with this character
3. My non-romantic OTP for this character
4. My unpopular opinion about this character
5. One thing I wish would happen/had happened with this character in canon.
1. I sometimes find her obnoxious or embarrassing, but she's spunky and fun, and I wish I were as comfortable in my skin as she seems to be. (Not sure I'd want to be like her in any other way, though *g*)
2. Rory. They're really my DW OTP, now. I could see her flirting with a lot of people, but really anything more than a snog or a one-night stand... it's got to be Rory.
3. The Doctor. Yep. I can't 'ship them, but they're fantastic together. Rose was the perfect companion for Nine; Amy is Eleven's perfect companion, imho. Or Amy + Rory.
4. I don't mind her short skirts. In fact, I didn't actually notice how short they were until someone pointed it out to me (except for the kissogram outfit). I don't think it's a slutty choice, or a misogynistic one, or any of those other flaily opinions people keep advancing. It's just how Amy likes to dress, and frankly, she dresses considerably more modestly than, say, Peri. So.
5. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER FOR "THE IMPOSSIBLE ASTRONAUT":
I want Amy to actually be pregnant and running around with Rory and the Doctor with her pregnant belly. And the baby to be okay. And possibly born on the TARDIS.
Worryingly, I find I identify more with Amy than with Rory. I'm not exactly the most stable person in the world, I fear... I'm not half as assertive as her, though.
I'm so glad I don't have anything to do with the parts of fandom that get up in arms about Amy's skirts.
And I haven't had a chance to properly watch the new opener of Who. I don't have cable, as there hasn't been much new that I'm interested in on TV in a good long while. I'm beginning to think I might have to torrent it, something I normally never do.
|Date:||April 24th, 2011 10:52 pm (UTC)|| |
Turn about is fair play... or not :)
1. I like Simon a lot. He's gruff and long-suffering and the sort of man I would be proud to know, I think, in RL.
2. Wow, I'm not sure I have a 'ship for Simon. I liked that old flame of his in season 2. :)
3. I really like Simon's friendship with Jim. I used to go out of my way to find fics set before Jim's sense came online, in hopes that I'd get more of that friendship. There aren't many out there, sadly.
4. In canon, he does put up with a LOT of Sentinel weirdness. But I think that he's not as much of a pushover as some people seem to assume. Not even for Jim and Blair.
5. Re: #4: I would have liked to see Simon's forbearance with Sentinel and guide put through the wringer. He's an honest man, but there are limits to anyone's patience and good will--I really would have liked to see those tested to the point of cruelty.
1. I love Daniel. I had a crush on him in the movie, and then just liked him in the series. In RL we would get along, but we would argue all the time, and I would be his friend--never romantically interested in him.
2. Mostly I ship Daniel/Sha're. The innocent, firey, deep love of his life. But if you push me, I can see (and have read fic for) Daniel/Vala. Even, every now and again, Daniel/Janet.
3. I have two non-romantic OTPs for Daniel: Jack O'Neill, and Sam Carter. He has very different friendships with them both, and if I had to pick one I would pick Jack, but both of those relationships are particularly strong and binding on some very fundamental level for Daniel.
4. Daniel is NOT a pacifist. He's perfectly capable not only of violence, but of brutal violence, given the right situation. Especially after he descends, in the later seasons, there's a ruthlessness to Daniel that a huge portion of fandom seems bent on denying. I like him all the better for it.
5. I wish Daniel had been able to reunite with Sha're. Or keep his step-son. The loss of his Abydos family, in bits and pieces, is the great character tragedy of the show. I would have liked to see that family preserved.
|Date:||July 30th, 2011 01:10 am (UTC)|| |
Dude, I just realized I never did this one!
1. When I saw the SW film for the first time, I so badly wanted to be Leia. I begged my mom to help me make the cinnamon bun hairstyle, and grew my hair out really long so I could actually create it. I think Leia is strong, and a smart-ass, and incredibly bright and brave.
I still kind of hope to be Leia when I grow up, I think. :)
2. Leia/Han, all the way. No one else.
3. I really like where the Leia & Luke friendship went, once they'd cleared up that they were family. (that whole thing is much more squicky to me now than it was as a kid, lol) I especially love them together in the EU novels.
4. I don't think I have an unpopular opinion about this character! Wow, that's rare for me.
5. I wish that we'd gotten to see Leia start to come into her Jedi powers in the films. Even just a little bit. And I wish that in the EU novels, they'd given her a bit more scope in that area.