May 20th, 2013
|12:23 pm - Fic-writing meme|
Stolen from astrogirl2:
I have 81 works archived at AO3. Pick a number from 1 (the most recent) to 81 (the first thing I posted there), and I'll tell you three things I currently like about it.
I'm also willing to make sure I come answer these things--I haven't been on LJ as much as I would like, the past few months. Come play!
Hahaha, naturally you ask for The Longest Road
1) I love how Amy and Rory's relationship plays out. I didn't even work hard on that bit, it just sort of happened, and yet it's exactly how I see them and convinced me to add them to the very short list of actual romances I ship.
2) The fact that I finally had a chance to write the DW story that had been in my head since I started watching... the one about waiting for the Doctor.
3) Amy grabs his hand. "Rory Williams, get over there or I will bite you. Get over there and do something!"
Amy. Because I'm really proud of how I wrote her, here. She's tough to pin down.Edited at 2013-05-21 12:52 am (UTC)
Haha, it's true, Amy would threaten to bite someone. And mean it. :P
This is kind of a cool meme, isn't it?
How about #13
That would be E is for the End
1) The profound sorrow; I swear this must be one of the saddest things I've ever written. And how it's masked a little by Jacob's strength and attempts to adjust to the empty space.
2) The moment Jacob realizes what's happened.
3) Selmak. Please.
Because of course they wouldn't normally use names, and when I wrote that in I suddenly wanted to know more about this friendship. Get on that, y'all. ;)
Oh, man, I would have to pick that one. Now I am sniffling. :)
How about 27? I think I'm stealing this from you and astro.
That would be: Get Ready for a Role Reversal
, Invisible Man; the fourth in a linked series of multi-fandom short fics.
1) I love writing Bobby Hobbes; I think this might be my best attempt at his voice.
2) The role reversal is more dramatic than I usually write. Normally, I'll do h/c with the strong character in the hurt role (not the case here), but this is even better: a moral or practical reversal.
3) I love the image of Darien with no hair at all. :) I got a couple of flaily comments about that when I posted this fic.Edited at 2013-05-22 08:02 pm (UTC)
That would be... wow, my only Angel fic, Love is as Strong as Death
(aka "Illyria to die of Fred")
1) One of the few times I've used my propensity for long metaphors in fic... and actually made it work.
2) Love is as strong as death. Her mother had read that to her, from the Bible, when she was small.
I think I've only quoted the bible in 3 fics, and this was one of the first. I still think it works nicely to ground Fred's creativity in something personal.
3) The world of the soul is still made of love, but it's hard to live in a world where a dimension or two have been ripped away.... But it's living, and the other dimensions are still there, and that's what she wanted.
Even if it's not all that she wanted.
One of my more evocative endings--hope and victory laced with the pain of reality.
I've had a go at this one too :)
What about 48?
Wow, I haven't reread this in years. These Are Gold
(SG-1), my Cassie fic.
1) It tickles me that Jack buys Cassie the DVD box set of Wormhole Extreme
. Because you know he would. :)
2) I really am pleased with how the relationship between Jack and Cassie came out. Jack gets to be both the grownup and the fellow youngster, as it were, and thus he can speak to her when no one else really can. I'm less sure about her interaction with Sam... but I like the idea that Cassie needs understanding before she can accept the gift that Sam offers her.
3) In retrospect, Cassie's feeling of illusory safety at college mirrors (faintly) my own experience. Hmm. Completely did not realize that at the time.